Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lewisburg, Tennessee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lewisburg, Tennessee

Hey, I am Michael. I am new to growing carnivorous plants correctly. I have been interested in carnivorous plants for a long time. I also have an interest in hydroponics, aeroponics, and aquaponics. I want to eventually experiment with hydroponics and carnivorous plants. I have seen several posts on growing carnivores by means of hydroponics and they are all very interesting.

I am currently growing:
    Drosera binata
    Drosera capillaris
    Drosera intermedia
    Drosera adelae
    Venus flytrap (I haven't memorized or learned to pronounce the scientific name yet)
    Purple pitcher plant (" ")
    Utricularia subulata
    Utricularia intermedia
    Utricularia bisquamata
    Utricularia sandersonii
    Utricularia praelonga x livida
    Pinguicula primuliflora
    Darlingtonia (not sure of exact species)
    Nepenthes ampullaria

I have only been growing these species for maybe 2 months (just got in the Nepenthes, Darlingtonia, Pinguicula, Drosera adelae, U. bisquamata, U. sandersonii, and U. praelonga x livida about a week ago)

Oh, and I am excited because 2 of my Drosera binata have flower stalks.
    Also, I haven't put any of my plants through dormancy yet. My plans are to fit a mini fridge with grow lights and an insulated glass door so they can continue to photosynthesis during dormancy and I can still see them.

Almost all my plants are growing in a peat:sand mix except for the Nepenthes ampullaria because I had it shipped potted.

If anyone would like to offer advice on my soil, plants, dormancy idea, or anything else, then feel free. I look forward to learning as much as I can about these plants and maybe even being able to contribute to the carnivorous plant community. Also, I have The Savage Garden to help me out too. It is a great book and I have been recommending it to anyone that asks me about carnivorous plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have the single greatest Nepenthes ever. Amp is my fav species. I wish I could grow it outdoors though.

Welcome! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

Vft is a Dionaea muscipula, purple pitcher plant is Sarracenia purpurea, and the Darlingtonia is Darlingtonia californica. Like the vft, Darlingtonia is a monotypical genus. Good news for you regarding dormancy, you should be able to leave them outside all year. They will go through dormancy naturally in your climate.
    Last edited by fullcollapse; 10-22-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!
    -Arthur

Growlist

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the "welcome"'s
    I thought about leaving my plants outside for dormancy but it gets very cold here during the winter and I am not sure how I would insulate the pots to keep the roots from freezing solid. I read that Darlingtonia can be frozen solid if the plant is completely dormant but I'm not sure if I am willing to test that.

I did start off growing my Sarracenia purpurea and vft outside but it was suppose to get in the low 40's one night and I wasn't sure if they could survive that.

And yeah, Pineapple, Nepenthes amp is one of my favorites too. I never knew what species it was but I always remembered seeing pictures of it so I finally decided to look it up and get one. Unfortunately it has no pitchers right now and I have read that Nepenthes are slow growers so it may be a while before I get any pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can actually survive light frosts. Originally I just looked at your USDA hardiness zone. http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/ You are in zone 7a, vfts grow in 8a. Usually i would say temperates would be fine, but after checking your average lows though you might be a little cold December - February, but just a bit. You are correct about not wanting to let the pots freeze. If you get constant lows below 30 F then you would want to protect them. You could keep it as simple as putting them in a garage or something overnight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast