What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yo!

I've been lurking this site for a while and now seems to be the best time to join. I've been growing sarracenia outdoors for about four years now. It all started with a S. flava and a Dionaea 'Akai Ryu'. Unfortunately my newbie mistakes during dormancy killed my first group of plants. The second year I started strong with various sarracenia and some venus flytraps. Again I lost most of them during dormancy, this time to fungus and desiccation. The 3rd and 4th years have been much better. I now have a small collection of about 30 or so individual plants, most of them flowering size. I've also did my first bunch of crosses last season and I'm currently growing the seedlings in a terrarium under CFL lights 24/7. I just finished doing my sarracenia crosses for this year and hopefully I should have even more seedlings to grow during the winter. Recently I've been branching out to other carnivorous plants such as droseras, pinguiculas, and utricularia. The addiction continues! Other than carnivorous plants, I'm also an avid fan of planted aquariums and I enjoy growing many species of aquatic plants both submerged and emersed. Hopefully I can learn more from the pros here and refine my growing techniques some more.

-Dan

Welcome! Glad to hear that you have Sarrs. taken care of. They are my second favorite genus behind dews. Let the good times roll!

Hey, welcome to the forum!! Glad to have another Sarracenia fan here, they're definitely my faves :D

Hello from Staten Island.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Hello from Staten Island.

Nice, another NY'er.

Hey, welcome to the forum!! Glad to have another Sarracenia fan here, they're definitely my faves :D

Thanks! When I first saw the variety of sizes and colors that sarracenia could produce, I knew that I should focus on growing them. They also do a great job of keeping the fly and yellow jacket population down in my backyard during the Spring and Summer.

Welcome to TF! I was born the Bronx and raised on the Island.

Greetings from Astoria - welcome!

welcome! I'm about an hour outside the city! lots of great ppl around here before you know it you'll have too many plants for your space.

Hello welcome to TFs :)

Welcome to TF! I was born the Bronx and raised on the Island.

Nice. I used to live out on LI when I went to school out there.

Greetings from Astoria - welcome!

Thanks! I live further out East in Floral Park, near the Queens/Nassau border.

welcome! I'm about an hour outside the city! lots of great ppl around here before you know it you'll have too many plants for your space.

Too late. I already have too many plants and still want more!

Anyways, nice meeting you all!

Back