What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello! From Greensboro, NC.

Hello everyone, i'm Chad from NC. This amazing forum has been immensely helpful already in the past months that i have started my collection of CP's. It has already become an addiction! I even plan on taking a trip out to the coast and heading to the Green Swamp at the end of this month and seeing some beautiful plants in their natural habitat (hopefully).

Welcome to TF! 8) What CPs are you currently cultivating? : o

Lets see, i have a couple im not one hundred percent sure of but... an

S. 'Mardi Gras'
S. Oreophila
S. Purpurea ... i think its a southern venosa
S. Alabamensis.. (though this one im not certain of)
S. 'Scarlet Belle'
S. 'Yellow Jacket',
(S. Flava x Leuco) x flava ?? -Its a Sarracenia hybrid from UNCC its parentage is not completely certain
S. "Dixie Lace"
S. 'Catesbaei'

and a couple of VFT's and a Several different Drosera that are growing in with my Sarracenia that came from the grower i got most of my plants from of which i am not certain of their classification, and a couple of D. Capensis.

Hard to ID hybrids but do you have good pictures of the S. Alabamensis?
(edit)
Particularly, a picture of two of a pitcher viewed from the side- preferably a more mature pitcher if possible.

1) Can you take a picture of the inside of the hood
2) and feel the outside of the pitcher tube. Would you describe it as having more of a slight waxy feel or very slightly fuzy feel (or perhaps you can look really closely at the outside of the pitcher tube an see if there are very very small but tightly packed hairs)?
3) Try lightly squeezing the tube, would you describe it as having a firm feel or a soft feel?

Hi and welcome to Terraforums! I'm always glad to see more CP keepers around me. I'm just north of you in Virginia. I shop in Greensboro every once in a while. You've got a great collection started. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your plants?

Hi and thanks! I got most of my plants from David Crump in Charlotte. the others from our local whole foods, (S&J Greens supplies them as a whole seller out of State Road NC, they also sell at our farmers market occasionally) and my Oreophila came from Plant Delights in Raleigh NC.

Oh and one Hybrid i bought from UNCC at the Campus Garden and Greenhouses...i highly recommend going to check out their bog gardens and green houses worth a trip!!!

Alight, sorry is I am being wild goosechasey. To be honest I am a bit on the fence about which species it is.
- It is definitely in the rubra complex.
- I think we can rule out S. rubra ssp. rubra and S. rubra ssp. gulfensis as your plant has yellowish pitchers and a dip in the front of the lip.

That leaves:
- S. jonesii
- S. alabamensis ssp. alabamensis
- S. alabamensis ssp. wherryi

S. jonesii is what I my hunch is but it is a little hard to say for sure. The main reason being that the pitchers have not opened all the way- but it does look kinda like they are wanting to do the bulge thing. On a S. jonesii with mature pitchers, you will want to look for a slight outward bulge in the upper 1/3 of the pitcher tube. It can be kinda hard to see at first (First time I tried iding a S. jonesii/S. alabamensis I had to stare at photos for literally about an hour before it became more clear to me- I still get hung up). If that bulge is present it is probably S. jonesii. Also, from my perspective it looks like the veins in the hood do not fade out at all- particularly in the upper half on the inside. That's a Jonesii trait. Then again, with the angle of the sun it is hard to tell if the color of the outer veins is shinning through or something.
If the bulge is not present, then it is probably a S. alabamensis subspecies.

S. alabamensis ssp. wherryi has more of a tan background color in the pitchers and is more heavily veined: http://www.sarracenia.com/photos/sarracenia/sarraalab2007.jpg
S. alabamensis ssp. alabamensis has a more yellow background color.

That said, I ain't a biologist so take it for what its worth ;)

(And please do not label your plants if you are not certain, especially if you are thinking about giving them away)

awesome thanks for your input! :)

No problem, and by all mean please do solicit other opinions. I am not a trained taxonomist or biologist- I am a hobbiest too. A trained biologist may spot things I do not.

Welcome to TF!

Hi and thanks! I got most of my plants from David Crump in Charlotte. the others from our local whole foods, (S&J Greens supplies them as a whole seller out of State Road NC, they also sell at our farmers market occasionally) and my Oreophila came from Plant Delights in Raleigh NC.

Oh and one Hybrid i bought from UNCC at the Campus Garden and Greenhouses...i highly recommend going to check out their bog gardens and green houses worth a trip!!!

I'll keep those place in mind! Thanks! I can only find CP's at one local nursery around here.

I would LOVE to get down and see the gardens at Chapel Hill! There are soo many places I want to see CPs in North Carolina.

I'll keep those place in mind! Thanks! I can only find CP's at one local nursery around here.

I would LOVE to get down and see the gardens at Chapel Hill! There are soo many places I want to see CPs in North Carolina.

Chapel Hill is definitely worth it!!! Davids growing operation in Charlotte is something to be seen! I was lucky enough to get in touch with him while i was in Charlotte and meet up with him. I followed him back to his home and where he grows his CPs and other plants and his bog gardens are amazing ... he has thousands of plants and has been growing for many years! Plant Delights in Raleigh does mail order as well as on site but you have to call and make an appointment to see their plants... they have some greenhouses open to the public and they have some amazing gardens around the property.

Why hello neighbor!
I'm in Summerfield. And am in Greensboro pretty much every day. We might have even passed each other before! Creepy!! :0o:

Why hello neighbor!
I'm in Summerfield. And am in Greensboro pretty much every day. We might have even passed each other before! Creepy!! :0o:

Well, Howdy Neighbor! haha :)

Back