Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hi from Georgia!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi from Georgia!!

Hi everyone!!

I'm Kevin and I'm extremely excited to finally be a part of Terraforums. I've been involved in horticulture for almost a decade. A VFT and an S. flava were my first two plants ever. Determined not to kill them, I came upon terraforums, D'Amato, and Barry Rice. The plant bug bit me, and I have just kept collecting ever since.

I have also formulated my career around plants. I am a research horticulturist at a major southern university, managing two 5,000 sqft greenhouses within a larger complex. Mostly, I grow crop plants such as rice, corn, and sunflowers. A bit of my job revolves around maintaining a collection of plants for teaching purposes. This collection is roughly divided into CPs, primitive plants (algae>moss>ferns>gymnosperms), and flowering tropicals (esp. orchids, cacti/succulents, bromeliads). My department even has a lab researching Sarracenia. I have loved plant conservation for a long time. Previously, I've participated in mountain bog restoration in north Georgia with S. purpurea and cooperated with the Atlanta Botanical Garden's Jenny Cruse-Sanders and Ron Determann to help the federally endangered Dwarf Sumac. I also create a huge exhibit of CPs for a nearby botanical garden each year and talk to hundreds of people about them. Not to mention I help out and donate CPs to several schoolteachers who use them in their lesson plans. I am passionate about plants but it's especially rewarding to give plants to people and get them hooked too!

As of right now, I have grown hundreds of taxa from most of the major families. This involves the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides, many of which I use on my CPs with great success. I consider my strengths my wide range of plant experience and my ability to diagnose and treat a myriad of problems. I love playing plant doctor and hopefully I can help others out when I have time. Though I enjoy growing almost all plants, I am especially attracted to CPs and cacti and collect them like a madman. My favorite plants in the world are the sundews. I would love to expand my personal and work collection if that's possible.

I have been lurking around here long enough so now I'm hoping to make things official !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! You sound like a great resource, and I'm sure we can hook you up with more sundews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Kevin, this is Shawn Lyons (UGA hort major, recently graduated and started hort PhD program at Cornell University). I'm almost 100% sure I've talked to you/had classes with you before.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Kevin. It sounds like you are bringing some serious knowledge to the TF table. I'm sure your research and findings will be of great value here.

Paul

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGnum View Post
    Hey Kevin, this is Shawn Lyons (UGA hort major, recently graduated and started hort PhD program at Cornell University). I'm almost 100% sure I've talked to you/had classes with you before.
    Red hair, dreadlocks, took Affolter's herbs/medicinal plants class? I think I remember you but I never knew your last name. Anyhow, I also have one of your Aloe 'Blue Elf's and a Golden Barrel from your project that are massive now. I'll have to get around to pics. Congrats on starting at Cornell!

And thanks for the warm wishes everyone. Like I said, I usually am pressed for free time but I will try to jump in and give some advice on saving dying plants if I can