Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello From California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello From California

Hello All,

I've recently gotten into CP's. It all started when I went to Home depot and found this ailing Nepenthes tucked away in the discount section half dead. In my attempt to recover my plant I went online and started doing research and came upon a few websites but one in particular, which basically gave me a "plant addiction", has left me with a pursuit as many of you have encountered. I have a custom built (by me) CP house that also has my other CP's/tropical fruits/vines/aroids and aquatic plants. It's not fancy but does the job. Here are a couple shots of my cp's, thanks!

Drosera Gland

The now thriving Nepenthes that I saved

-Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing theses pictures :-)
    And welcome to tfs!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! And that's a really nice Nepenthes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome ! Nice pictures. What all do you grow?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and WoW on the Drosera photo that must have take some time to setup.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! Would you care to trade your camera for a cat or 2?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome! you have amazing pics! what drosera specie is it btw? =)
    Gen 1:11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all, thanks for the responses! To answer the questions:

@ catrus : I grow a lot of different plants, almost to many to keep track of. Lots of Drosera and Sarracenia. I just expanded my ping. collection quite a bit but everything is tiny. I'm looking to get more into Nepenthes however it is quite cost prohibitive at times. I also have a tomato collection..many hundreds of varieties to grow this year! Trying different Guava, Passionfruit, Papaya and Berries. I'm trying to grow some larger corn this year, I hit 15' with a stalk this last season. Kale, lettuce and other leafy greens are of interest to me. I grow my fiance Dahlia's of all sorts with majority interest in the dinner plate sized ones. I recently aquired a Tree Dahlia which grows 20ish ft!! Sorry, Im rambling....

@RSS: took a very long time with TONS of frustration. It's actually a lens that get the microscopic look and its very very difficult (precise parameters) to use. The "action" zone is at BEST the size of a rice grain. At f2.8 you get almost nothing in focus, its weird. So you have to shoot either f9-22 which needs tons of lighting. You can "focus bracket" with the help of software and thats where the lens shines. You take multiple images while scaling back the camera (its a non zoom lens). You need a little rail and a good steady hand. Forgot to mention that this lens pretty much cannot be used handheld..its sad because it has so much potential!! Thanks for checking the pictures out!

@jimscott: Well, my herd of cats seems to be complete, but I'll help you out with any questions or recommendations if you want to pursue macro photography!

@Salgadoxx8: Drosera Adelae, thanks for your compliment!

@ Tanukimo: Thanks! I believe its "Miranda" after looking at other posts..

@Maiden: I'll be posting more macro shots soon, thanks for checking them out!