What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from New York City!

Hello! I've always been an orchid aficionado, and
started growing them in earnest up here in NYC about 8 months ago.

The Orchid Board led me here, and I've been buying CPs over the past month or so.

Of course I had my odd Venus Flytrap sold in a little plastic box when I was a kid, but like most
they all turned black within a few months. This is my first serious attempt at growing them.

Although I have plenty of artificially lighted space for my orchids, surprisingly NYC is in a zone (7b) that most of the CPs like, so they can spend all year outside. I don't have any private outside area, but my co-op building has a rooftop that hardly anyone uses and I can
put a bunch of plants up there. The only problem I've run into so far is the wind, I need to get some bricks or something!

So, see you around the forum.

- Doug

Last edited:
Hi! welcome from Brooklyn!

Welcome!

Welcome to Terraforums! What species of CPs are you growing?

Welcome in!

Although I have plenty of artificially lighted space for my orchids
You may want to look into the Orchidioides utrics as many are epiphytic & good companion plants for orchids.

You may want to look into the Orchidioides utrics as many are epiphytic & good companion plants for orchids.

I agree with this. Just keep in mind that they are difficult to acquire in the states, and you'll probably have better luck trying to trade for them than finding them for sale.

Welcome to TF! I'm originally from the Bronx and then Huntington.

Welcome from the bowels of Staten Island ;)

Back