What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello! :)

Hey everyone! Mummygirl here. I have a budding interest in terrariums, and just created my very first one two days ago! I'm here to learn the tools and tricks of the trade to make many many more, as well as create them for friends and family. I'm excited to talk with other enthusiasts, and work on my green thumb at the same time. :-D

Welcome to Terraforums! What kind of plants do you grow in your terrariums?

Welcome to Terraforums! What kind of plants do you grow in your terrariums?

I actually still only have one terrarium which I made two days ago. In that one I have a small Dracaena, Hypoestes, and Peperomia. I also have it decorated with a tiny buddha, heart-shaped rock, and a tiny turquoise skull which is something of a "hidden object" since I have it hiding among the foliage. I used to be an archaeologist, so I just can't resist putting skulls and bones on and in everything. :)

Welcome to TerraForums! Do you know what CPs you're thinking about starting with/ most interested in?

Welcome to TerraForums! Do you know what CPs you're thinking about starting with/ most interested in?

I really don't know.. I'm a total beginner to this. How well do CPs do indoors, if at all? I live in the northern US and don't even have my plants outside yet. Can you make any suggestions for me?

Last edited:
Can you make any suggestions for me?

Absolutely; get yourself a copy of Peter D'Amato's book The Savage Garden, and you will soon find out from reading which genera appeal to you most and which are most likely to adapt to the conditions you can offer.

Couldn't agree more with getting The Savage Garden. I got it along with my first couple of plants and I'm certainly glad I did. Also, just look around some of the posts on this website. You should be able to find details about every type of CP and methods for growing them. Bottom line is, there are tons of plants that do well indoors, especially if you've got a terrarium.

Last edited:
Sub-Tropical and tropical sundews do really well in terrariums, as well as Venus flytraps, and butterworts. these are all great beginner plants!

Ditto to the Savage Garden. I'm fond of the "water tray method" myself and thats what I plan on doing. I look forward to seeing some pics of your setup!

Welcome to TF! I would start you off, as I have with co-workers that show an interest in CP's, with D. capensis and D. binata:

the big plants to the left are D. binata and the ones to the right are D. capensis. They are the easiest beginner plants and rather attractive.

Last edited:
After you have a sense of what plants you'll want to acquire, I highly recommend the International Carnivorous Plant Society Grow Guides written by John Brittnacher. http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/ Use the menu on the left to navigate.

I started out wanting to be an archaeologist but switched at the last minute to studying plants :).

Wow, thank you all for the help and suggestions! This will certainly give me a great start. :rookwoot:

Another question though, I'm hoping to start some closed terrariums soon as well. Will CPs do well in those or do they require open terrariums? Thanks again!

Last edited:
I started out wanting to be an archaeologist but switched at the last minute to studying plants :).[/QUOTE]

It was certainly fun and fruitful during my 20s, but the traveling demands became too great for a stable lifestyle in my 30s. :)

After you have a sense of what plants you'll want to acquire, I highly recommend the International Carnivorous Plant Society Grow Guides written by John Brittnacher. http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/ Use the menu on the left to navigate.

I started out wanting to be an archaeologist but switched at the last minute to studying plants :).

It was certainly fun and fruitful during my 20s, but the traveling demands became too great for a stable lifestyle in my 30s. :)

This is a somewhat closed terrarium / mini-greenhouse:

Back