Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Guess I Never Introduced Myself

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Guess I Never Introduced Myself

Hi, my name is Sarah, I actually have been on here a bit but never thought to introduce myself properly.

I have been growing non native plants since age 5, in which I actually managed to grow a lemon tree in Michigan of all places, from a seed I pulled out of a store bought lemon. It survived for more than a decade, until my grandmother, suffering from chemo brain, tossed it out. But from that start, I never stopped attempting to plant pretty much any seed I could get a hold of, much to the ire of my mother

Orchids, cacti, multiple sorts of trees, from various places and climates I have managed to grow successfully, and my favorite is growing things from seed when I can get a hold of them. However, while I have been interested in carnivorous plants ever since age 10 when I noticed the "death cubes" of Venus flytraps in the general store, I have owned them relatively recently. So far every attempted care and germination has been successful, leaving me with a lot more plants than I bargained for, and some dirty looks from my mother, who better not try to throw out my plants again

As an autistic person often not understood by people, plants make me feel safe. I can't offend a plant, and yet they rely on me for their care and succeed with my efforts. I don't talk to them or anything weird like that, although I'm sure I probably stare at them a bit too much.

Oh, and I am a college student in the Biomedical Sciences. I guess I just add that right in there.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of late, but welcome to Terraforums!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for that introduction, Sarah. Knowing that your experiences are filtered through autism puts your contributions to the group in a different context. I can't imagine the challenges you deal with. Welcome (finally!) to TF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never stopped attempting to plant pretty much any seed I could get a hold o
    Ha! That describes my experience as well. My folks still have a bottle tree, Brachychiton rupestris, that I grew from seed. It must be 20 years old now. Anyway, welcome (formally) to TF!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Sarah,i'm a bit gutted you think talking to plants is weird welcome and good growing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I thought you did do an introduction. I guess I was imagining things. Anyway, welcome (officially)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    hi Sarah,i'm a bit gutted you think talking to plants is weird welcome and good growing
    I don't talk to stuff that doesn't respond to noise. I'll talk about plants for hours, I'll stare at them, but I won't talk to them.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    I don't talk to stuff that doesn't respond to noise. I'll talk about plants for hours, I'll stare at them, but I won't talk to them.
    A quick google search will bring up many tests conducted showing a relationship between plants and ambient noise.

Some people think that the simple fact of your exhaling Co2 in their general direction makes a difference as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast