Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yo Yo Yo Portlander Oy Oy Oy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo Yo Yo Portlander Oy Oy Oy

Oy,
    My name's Carson, I'm 19, and I've been growing CPs for about 14 years. It got really intense when I found a steady stream of them coming from a local nursery. Naturally I went nuts and haven't been cured since.

I posted on this forum and others as a less mature middle- and high-schooler. I felt it appropriate to renew my identity. I guess anyone who recognizes me from anything I post is free to call me out.

I'm currently on summer break, transferring from Eugene's University of Oregon to the drastically more educationally inclined Portland State University, majoring in something along the line of social work. I'll be doing volunteer work over the summer and into the winter, and I'll also be growing plants along the way.

I like martial arts (taichi, eclectic kungfu), sketching in coffee shops, reading (periodically), teaching, and learning. I also do this weird hobby: I grow carnivorous plants in my sunroom and on my back deck. I used to have a lot more, but ever since I left for college someone forgot to water them. Also, weird Portland snow. So now my collection is 80% smaller. *sigh* I like sundews. We'll talk about it.

I'll be at the ICPS conference with my old Aussie buds in Cairns next month too!

So three cheers for me and see you around,

-Carson Trexler
    Last edited by Apollonian; 06-27-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Carson!
    Portland is a great place to be relocating to. Every month there is a group of us that meet at a local (minor friendly) pub up there to be plant nerds together for a few hours. I live out on the coast, but try to make it up there to the meeting when ever possible. So much knowledge to gleam off the more experienced growers.

Hopefully you find this go around on the forums more pleasant than it sounds like it was in the past. Looking forward to your contributions!

Chris

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back, Carson. As oregoncp says you would be most welcome to join us during our monthly meetings. I'm not really sure what is going to be happening this month as Saturday is the SNW openhouse. But the thread is here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...in-Portland-OR
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, nice to meet you!
    Yes, I've heard about this meeting at the Moon & Sixpence. I'll be at the SNW openhouse along with a few of my friends. Do you all think that the Oregon Carnivorous Plant Society will be at the openhouse? Is it appropriate to say that the OCPS is back online? Because PDX has incredible potential, not to mention market for a society about these plants and for these plants, respectively.
    I still have the flyer for the 2002 meet for the OCPS back when Pings were rare and the internet was new and color printers were patrician.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an OCPS??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there certainly used to be. It was pretty small, and I went to it's last real meeting. Back in the days of snail-mail, y'know? Did a marvelous presentation on Oaxacan Pinguicula, and that's all I remember.
    Apparently it's started back up again with Sarracenia Northwest as it's nucleus, and they meet at a pub in Northeast Portland every so often. I'd say Portland is ripe for it!
    It really should be called the Multnomah Carnivorous Plant Society, but Portland is more/less the social capital of Oregon, so OCPS isn't really a misnomer.
    Last edited by Apollonian; 06-28-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the informal gathering at Moon and Sixpence is anything to do with OCPS, but Mark or Mat could tell you more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hasn't been Christened yet!?
    I mean look at it! It gets together to talk about plants, it goes on field trips, it meets in PDX, it trades plant material, and it's a broad, welcoming collection of people and a small business. It looks like OCPS revival to me, but I suppose officially it might still be gestating, especially considering Cooks isn't in on it or Carniflora PDX. I'll talk about it with the people I see at the open house in July. I'd be down to help get something official going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast