User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Plant-Insect Paradise or Nightmare?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fdfederation View Post
    I'm a terrible person for finding humor in this.
    How about this story, based on one I read as a kid?

A man goes to stay in a cabin by a lake where he was looking for carnivorous plants. The campground keeper says that it's dangerous to stay by oneself, and this time of year the mosquitoes are really big and bad. The man replied "I ain't afraid of no danger and no mosquitoes, and I sleep wid a gun." The manager approves, and says "I warned ya."

The man goes to bed pretty early, but after an hour, he wakes up. He hears two voices in his room. One says to the other, "We better get him now when he is sleeping. We don't want the big guys to get him later." The man looks up and there are a pair of two foot mosquitoes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread, and I'm happy to answer both questions you asked.

The first: What do I think? Call me macabre (you wouldn't be the first) but I love watching insects fall victim to my carnivorous plants. Certain insects, anyway. I try my best to save the butterflies, lacewings, damselflies, lady bugs and assassin bugs because they're (a) too pretty to die (in my opinion) and/or (b) they themselves are insectivorous and help keep the overall population of troublesome insects in check in my immediate environment. I know I'm making decisions about the relative worth of various insect species, but I'm ok with that. I'm morally at ease watching yellowjackets, wasps, flies, moths, et al die. It's part of nature.

The second: You wondered whether carnivores catch mosquitoes since -- as you rightly pointed out -- CP use nectar to attract prey. Female mosquitoes are blood feeders. Male mosquitoes are nectar feeders, and I frequently find male mosquitoes caught in various Pinguicula, Drosera and particularly Drosophyllum I have in my collection. Unfortunately, the water in which the CP sit themselves attract mosquitoes both male and female for breeding, but Mosquito dunks in my trays and Mosquito fish in my bogs take care of that.
    Growing CP since 1975. Succeeding (more or less) since 1990.

Sarracenia & Heliamphora Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that shortly after I filled my in ground bog the ants moved in. I guess the digging in the sandy soil was too easy for them to pass up, even with the relatively high water table. As far as mosquitos, I can't breed enough in my trays to keep my fish fed.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12