What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's nice to be back

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Well, Andrew called me this afternoon. He was calling to see, if my phone number was still valid, if I were still alive, and if I were still interested in carnivorous plants.

I was glad to answer, yes; yes; and yes.

It is good to see that many names and forum aliases are still active here. I plan to try increasing my participation again, too. It's also nice to see so many new posters. I look forward to getting to meet, many of you on the forums.

Life has changed many things, some pleasant, some not so pleasant, but at least I still have most of my own health - at least, for now.

Somewhere I have archived the photos that accompanied many of my earlier posts. They have disappeared from my posts since they no longer exist at the URLs where they were originally linked from. Once I locate them, I will see if I can find a more stable location to host them, then repair those old posts to restore the missing images. That will be one of my first efforts here. Posts that include images, are lame without them.

Last edited:
Welcome back, Pinguiculaman!

Welcome back! It's great to see that our Pinguicula legend is here again. :)

Welcome back! Some of us need a Pinguicula expert to learn from.

Hooray! Welcome back, Joseph! You were very kind to me when I was new to the forums and I haven't forgotten.

The god of Pinguicula returns! Welcome back.

Welcome!

May I suggest an imgur.com account for your photos. They will never be deleted and the uploading process is extremely convenient.

Welcome!

May I suggest an imgur.com account for your photos. They will never be deleted and the uploading process is extremely convenient.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably try it, to compare it to the "smugmug" account that I already signed up for. I'm still working to teach myself how to setup my site with them, though I already paid for their basic package. It's under my wife's maiden name, Kerr, hence: "kerrspics.smugmug.com", because she and I thought, that name looked better and would be easier for others to remember. You are all welcome to check it out, as I work to flesh it out.

Last edited:
Long time no see.
Glad your back.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably try it, to compare it to the "smugmug" account that I already signed up for. I'm still working to teach myself how to setup my site with them, though I already paid for their basic package. It's under my wife's maiden name, Kerr, hence: "kerrspics.smugmug.com", because she and I thought, that name looked better and would be easier for others to remember. You are all welcome to check it out, as I work to flesh it out.

Imgur is 100% free and is better than every other photo sharing website in my opinion. Good luck!

Sashoke, I was just checking out imgur.com. It appears their free accounts have a limit of 225 images, and each image will be reduced to less than 5MB each. I have thousands of images, needing a home, several gigabytes worth. From family photos, carnivorous plants, and beekeeping. Also, it seems that I would be giving up the rights to my own images. The smugmug site helps me to maintain the rights to my own images, and helps me to sell prints of images that I select for that purpose. It also allows me to upload all my images, but to only allow public access to those images I choose for that purpose.

Last edited:
Finding an acceptable photo website proves more difficult every year. Sorry sash, I gotta agree with mr.clemens here.
Imgur is rather mediocre, and half the time, it deletes my photos without any warning, and ownership of photos becomes
Lost in the ether with it. However, i have never heard of smugmug.

Huh, interesting. I have a free account but I also have 487 uploaded images? Whered you read you can only have 225? Also none of my images are ever reduced to 5mb...

I havent really thought about ownership of the photos since I am not a photographer and, bluntly; I couldnt care less if someone used my pictures. If they did, that means they were worth stealing :-O But I can see how that would be a problem for someone who actually takes decent pictures (Cellphone camera grr)

Anyway good luck!

Welcome back! I didn't know you when you were on the forum a while back, but I found your posts helpful:)

This link at imgur explains the differences between imgur basic accounts and their pro accounts, which explains the expected limitations of their basic accounts.

Hello again, I've located some of my photos, and have begun the process of uploading them to my photo hosting site and repairing the broken links in my earlier posts. This is going to take me awhile, so hang on, please. I am fairly confident that nearly all of the missing photos exist in my archives, somewhere, but most of them are scattered about on hard drives, salvaged from my old PCs. I am searching them out, then consolidating copies of them on a newer, large capacity drive, then checking the image names, as contained in my older posts to locate, then upload and link the new URLs to again display those images in their old associated posts. Here's what one of those recently relinked images looks like:
i-zKn4v8B-L.jpg

Welcome back!! Are you selling these plants? They are beautiful!
You can put photos on Facebook and share them here.

Hello catrus,
Presently my collection is very limited, and I'm in the process of rebuilding it. Somehow, since I no longer have a day job to supplement the resources needed to maintain my collection, the collection will need to, somehow, pay for itself. It turns out that photographing my collection while it was strong and large, has helped me survive without the actual living plants. But I still miss them.

Back