User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 16

Thread: The Georgia invasion continues...

  1. #1
    Subsurface Lurker gnathaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Athens, GA, USA
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The Georgia invasion continues...

    Hey everyone, I've grown orchids and other miscellany, usually including one or two CPs, for a few years. My friend Kevin told me about this forum and I finally joined to learn more about Utricularias, a recently developed obsession. I'm intermittently active on a few of the orchid forums and think I've 'met' some of you there. This forum looks great and I'm sure I'll have many questions once I jump into growing more CPs.

    On a more personal note, I'm a grad-level student at the U of GA, married to a VERY patient woman, and father of wonderful 5- and 1-year-old boys. I'm in the middle of exams right now and generally always busy outside exam time, so please don't think I'm intentionally ignoring you if I respond slowly.

    Once my schedule calms down in a week or two I'll try to post some orchids for trade. If anyone has spare Utrics, Droseras, and live Sphagnum you'd like to trade for orchids, feel free to contact me in advance. I grow zero Utricularia at the moment so any and all are welcome, but pubescens, quelchii, capilliflora, and striatula are of particular interest. Please also feel free to tell me my 'wish list' is ridiculous.

  2. #2
    w03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    526
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

    Glad to hear that there's new growers interested in Utricularia - its not exactly an enormously popular genus. Your wishlist is going to be hard to find for sure. U. capilliflora, as far as I know, has only been grown by Yves-Andre Utz. Its also an annual, so if you ever did get it you would probably need a genetically diverse population to maintain it long-term.

    U. striatula is extremely uncommon in cultivation, but there are people who grow it. I suspect that it would be possible to find a source if you look in the right place with the right people. I'm pretty sure this one is an annual as well.

    U. quelchii is known for being rather picky even among the comparatively difficult sect. Orchidioides Utricularia. I highly suggest you try with easier members of the section (e.g. U. alpina) before attempting U. quelchii. As far as availability goes, it shouldn't be too difficult to find, most foreign vendors have it (if you need a list, PM people since mentioning specific vendors is not allowed with only a few exceptions).

    U. pubescens is pretty commonly available and should be pretty easy in typical terrestrial Utricularia conditions. Of the species on your want list, this is the best to start with. Keep in mind that it is really tiny - the leaves are a little bigger than coarse sand grains, and most of the pictures you see are close-up shots.

    If no one else gives some before then, I can probably give you some U. longifolia or U. calycifida 'Yog-Sothoth' in the spring. I'll also probably be giving away quite a few young Drosera binata once they grow out a bit.
    Last edited by w03; 12-03-2014 at 11:14 AM.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

  3. #3
    theplantman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    973
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnathaniel View Post
    Hey everyone, I've grown orchids and other miscellany, usually including one or two CPs, for a few years. My friend Kevin told me about this forum and I finally joined to learn more about Utricularias, a recently developed obsession. I'm intermittently active on a few of the orchid forums and think I've 'met' some of you there. This forum looks great and I'm sure I'll have many questions once I jump into growing more CPs.

    On a more personal note, I'm a grad-level student at the U of GA, married to a VERY patient woman, and father of wonderful 5- and 1-year-old boys. I'm in the middle of exams right now and generally always busy outside exam time, so please don't think I'm intentionally ignoring you if I respond slowly.

    Once my schedule calms down in a week or two I'll try to post some orchids for trade. If anyone has spare Utrics, Droseras, and live Sphagnum you'd like to trade for orchids, feel free to contact me in advance. I grow zero Utricularia at the moment so any and all are welcome, but pubescens, quelchii, capilliflora, and striatula are of particular interest. Please also feel free to tell me my 'wish list' is ridiculous.
    Hi Nat--It's that pesky friend, Kevin.

    Good to have you here!! You'll find the CP people to be an awesome bunch.

    I can personally attest that Nat has a diverse orchid collection, and his knowledge about them is incredibly vast. Quite a resource to have on the forum!

  4. #4
    Whimgrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,875
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Nat! Any friend of Kevin's, etc etc ;-)

  5. #5
    BS Bulldozer SubRosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome indeed Nat! We can always use another orchid person around!
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

  6. #6
    RL7836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Welcome indeed Nat! We can always use another orchid person around!
    ... & one of an even rarer group - those interested in Utrics! Yes - welcome aboard indeed! We have an under-utilized section on Utrics just waiting for you & an Orchidioides sticky awaiting your observations...

    Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    U. quelchii is known for being rather picky even among the comparatively difficult sect. Orchidioides Utricularia. I highly suggest you try with easier members of the section (e.g. U. alpina) before attempting U. quelchii. As far as availability goes, it shouldn't be too difficult to find, most foreign vendors have it (if you need a list, PM people since mentioning specific vendors is not allowed with only a few exceptions).
    Sorry to be contrary (hey, we don't want to scare the guy away before he even settles in) , but this hasn't been my experience. While U. alpina is probably the most forgiving, U. quelchii grows as easily as most of the others in section Orchidioides (not including Iperua species). Ime, U. endresii may be a bit more fussy.

    Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    U. pubescens is pretty commonly available and should be pretty easy in typical terrestrial Utricularia conditions. Of the species on your want list, this is the best to start with. Keep in mind that it is really tiny - the leaves are a little bigger than coarse sand grains, and most of the pictures you see are close-up shots.
    While the leaves are small, they're a bit larger than my usual sand grain - typically 1/8-3/16" or so. Very cute.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

    *** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

  7. #7
    carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,395
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, yes, I think I may have run into you on either OB, OT, or GW.

    Personally, I really like the flowers on Utrics. I do see where the lack of obvious traps can detract from their appeal to the masses.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."



  8. #8
    RL7836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    I do see where the lack of obvious traps can detract from their appeal to the masses.
    Agree - that's also why I'm confused about the complete lack of people who set up U. humboldtii in a viewing tank & feed it small critters. The traps get around 0.25" - plenty big to watch stuff get eaten...

    Somehow, my deal to get daphnia fell through or I'd have posted pics ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

    *** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •