What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from The Sonoran Desert

This is embarrassing. Ill start over. Can Anyone help?

Like I said, I'm in Tucson, I'll hook you up with some seeds :)
Send me a PM with your address and such.
Andrew

The grass likely sprouted from the media.

I'd think so too. Don't give up yet. They might still sprout. If the seeds are a little older, even D. capensis might take a few weeks to sprout.

Seeds have been in/on the peat for 90 days.

I pm'd Andrew for seeds.

I'm looking for D. brevifolia or any vibrant red Drocera

Anyone have Red Aldrovandra?

Thanks.

I acquired some Drosera Capensis red Gifberg seeds.

What's the best way to maximize the germination rate? Is germinating on Sphagnum moss ok or is there a better substrate?

I cleaned up the substrate and removed the grasses. Poured a fresh layer of Sphagnum moss over the old and completely let it all dry out.

Last edited:
Replanted seeds last week. Maybe it's too cold inside to germinate them.

Is there a more successful method way to sow seeds other than just putting them onto pureed Sphagnum moss, and covering with clear wrap?

Finally! My first Sundews. Complete with sticky fingers. These are some DC Red Gifberg seeds I acquired from feebly Germany for Christmas. I have DC albas from the FlyTrapShop, that I will sow next month.

Substrate is just pureed Sphagnum moss, sand is ADA Sun Sand. Soaked and covered with cling wrap. I have not removed any grass shoots yet. I'm purposely leaving the moss to grow as a hedge. Interesting contrast as if I terrascaped it.

BabyRedSundewsJan222016.jpg

BabyRedSundewsJan222016_1.jpg

Last edited:
Killer Vivarium update.

Restarted my collection this Summer in a 1020 grow tray with super tall dome and aquarium plant light strip. The plants quickly outgrew it.

Recently acquired two oddly built returned custom vivariums. Perfect for my South spot. Vivs are approximately 23"Lx18Wx17H each.

Glass doors propped open with chopsticks for wind and keep kitty out. Heavy gauge screened top with inner fine screen to keep in fruit flies.

First pic shows the light from a mix of aquarium plant leds: 6500K and 5200K. Plants regularly produce flowers. Trap had started going dormant at the time of transplanting.

Following are with new HLG65 65watt 4000K quantum board and comparing light to morning and noon sun peaking through blinds. Noon Sun is 4200K. I'm happy with the new light and using same energy with less heat than multiple led strip lights. A mini strip of blue lunar leds are used in the evening to attract bugs. Looking to experiment with UV as a bug trap.

Hope this helps someone else.

Attachments

• IMG_8962.jpg
    IMG_8962.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8965.jpg
    IMG_8965.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8968.jpg
    IMG_8968.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 78
Back