Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello! Total newbie from NE Texas with a terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
    Is it much worse than something like siphoning and replacing water in an aquarium? I do that all the time and don't mind it a bit.
    If there's enough water to even get a syphon going, you've got WAY too much in there (for Nepenthes). You're not going to be able to access the excess water that's present in the peat. You're just setting yourself up for lots of bad things to happen. :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    If the sand is courser than the peat mix, it's not going to drain like you think it will. The ability of peat to hold moisture is very high, and you might just end up forming a kind of water table above the sand unless you absolutely flood it.

Generally speaking, peat is not the recommended substrate for Nepenthes because it holds so much water. 100% dead lfs works for many, including myself, while others get a little more involved with their mixes. The one thing that seems to be the same in all of them is the ability for air to get to the roots.

It doesn't look like you put very much perlite into the mix, and there was no mention of sand. You'll need to watch carefully to make sure the soil doesn't become anaerobic.

It would be best to put it in a pot (I use net-pots and orchid-pots ((the ones with the holes in the side))) for mine. Nepenthes (from what I know), appreciate well-draining soil that will dry within 3-4 days or less.

Giving your plants their own pots will also allow you to keep a larger variety in the same tank (allowing for temperature requirements if it's a finicky Nep), since you can more easily control their individual water needs.
    I see... That is a good point. Well, I'm not opposed to pulling everything out of this and redoing it. I like the look of a planted terrarium over a potted one, but live plants beat sickly/dead ones any day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planted terrariums just set you up for big trouble, IMO. They never worked for me, and this whole thing will be irrelevant soon because that plant is very close to outgrowing the terrarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SerMuncherIV View Post
    Planted terrariums just set you up for big trouble, IMO. They never worked for me, and this whole thing will be irrelevant soon because that plant is very close to outgrowing the terrarium.
    Very true! It's going to have to go in it's own pot somewhere else soon regardless. That'd be a good opportunity to redo the tank.
    Last edited by Echostatic; 08-27-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Echostatic !!!

Ramon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'd do is have a potted terrarium with live moss on the ground around it to catch water and eventually grow up around the pots. It looks great with my drosera tray, and I'm eventually going to put moss around my nepenthes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzfish View Post
    What I'd do is have a potted terrarium with live moss on the ground around it to catch water and eventually grow up around the pots. It looks great with my drosera tray, and I'm eventually going to put moss around my nepenthes.
    That does sound cool. I might have to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut a hole in the wall, let some sunshine in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast