Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Portland, Oregon!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from Portland, Oregon!

Hey! My name is Ben, and I live in Portland, OR. I am a big fan of sundews and Nepenthes, though I only have two neps (sanguinea and ventrata). I posted a question earlier about re-potting tuberous sundews, but my internet has been a little screwy, and looks like I posted it 3 times without displaying any message in the sundews forum (sorry mods, I don't know how to delete my posts). Anyways, that being said, I was wondering whether or not it is advised against to re-pot tuberous Drosera during their growing season. I have no idea what their roots are like (the exact one I have is a D. ramellosa), and so I want to make sure I don't do anything that could be harmful.
    Last edited by Benurmanii; 12-21-2015 at 10:44 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! I am in Vancouver, WA so right next door. I wouldn't offer an answer to your question but maybe one of our more experienced tuberous 'dew growers will take that up.

I would like to point out this thread to you, in case you are interested in getting together with other cp growers in the Portland area: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/ge...-portland.html We do it every month.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

It is possible to repot tuberous Drosera while in active growth however, you'll need to take extreme care not to break the stolons. What is the reason for the repot now as opposed to waiting for dormancy ?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    Welcome.

It is possible to repot tuberous Drosera while in active growth however, you'll need to take extreme care not to break the stolons. What is the reason for the repot now as opposed to waiting for dormancy ?
    The media it is in is starting to break down (water that runs out the bottom smells bad, mushrooms occassionally pop up). I am not sure how much of a big deal this is, as I have never run into it before. I have only had the ramellosa for about 2 months, from California Carnivores.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What media is it in ?! Tuberous Drosera should be grown in a mix of 3 or 4 parts sand to 1 part peat.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some unknown but peaty mixture, it is peaty enough that there is moss on the top layer. Next season I plan to plant it in a sandier mixture, with a top layer of sand as suggested by tuberous-drosera.net
    Last edited by Benurmanii; 12-22-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Welcome to TF! I am in Vancouver, WA so right next door. I wouldn't offer an answer to your question but maybe one of our more experienced tuberous 'dew growers will take that up.

I would like to point out this thread to you, in case you are interested in getting together with other cp growers in the Portland area: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/ge...-portland.html We do it every month.
    Neat! It seems minors are allowed in, which is great for me! I also live pretty close, so I don't need to drive down. I'll be sure to attend next month, maybe bring somethin with me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast