What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello From Hayward , California

• Thread starter davidbrown
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My name is David Brown.
I am culturing Cp. Again.

Welcome to Terra Forums, David! Ha! I can relate being as this is my third stint at growing cps. If you've been away for awhile you will be astonished at what's out there these days.

Welcome! Are you into any particular genera of CPs?
Andrew

Welcome! What genera interest you, David?

My name is David Brown.
I am culturing Cp. Again.

Yes I am astonished at the prices . I can't believe how much Cp plants cost. They don't cost a lot to make. My agar culture was perfect. This time, I will be doing liquid culture.

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have purchase 57 packets of drosera seeds from ebay I also purchased some Venus flytrap many different varieties. I also have a science paper on culturing Cephalotus,claims ready for sale in 6 months, The secret is in the lighting. I will be buying a par meter. I have 60 2.8 liter erlynmeyer flasks. Just bought two shaker tables, And anticipate buying 3 more. And of course, In a year from now , I hope to culture Heliamphora. I hope to supply your flytrap store. I love this Web site. I hope to post pictures.

All, with nepenthes last on my list. Thank You for your post.

Ambitious plans indeed! Please post your progress. I will be interested in hearing about it.

I'm excited to follow you on this project! It all sounds very exciting, I've thought about trying TC, I'm just mainly concerned about how much room I (don't) have for it. Do you have any photos of your previous CP projects?
Andrew

I might have 1 or two. It was 20 years ago. It all ended in one day, The Cops raided my house and stole everything they could get. Smashed a 3k anilitical balance.They had no idea what the equipment was and that made them very angry. I fell into a very bad depression that lasted for years. Time has repaired most of the wounds. Peter D Amato knows me, he didn't want to buy 5 cent flytraps. Chuck Powell knows me. Joe Mazrimas envited me to his green house it gave me Cp Tissue culture fever. As for the cops, there is no such thing as a Laboratory that doesn't make drugs. I have never been charged with a crime in my life.

Last edited:
Geeze, what a story! Luckily for all of us, all cops are not like that. I'm not sure why any nursery wouldn't want to work with someone offering prices like that, I've been trying to find someone that does TC to work with for years!

Wrap a thousand test tubes by hand with parafilm,see if you still want to tissue culture. The answer for me was yes.After the third thousand TC was impossible, hands were numb and useless, so I invented the test tube wrapper. I should post a pic of my test tube wrapper

Everybody knew Peter had a sweet heart deal with a tissue culturist back east. 20 years ago, His price for a mature flytrap was 45 dollars. There was some anticancer properties in Flytraps, and He wouldn't dare see a 5 cent flytrap anywhere in the market place. I have bought a lot of tuberous Drosera seeds. Peter is selling them for 24$ to 28$ they are 2 inched tall. He has always been like that. At 2.40 apiece I would be thrilled to sell mine.

TC culture, also in the bay area? Nice!

I will be more than happy to follow your project too and read any advices / tips / protocols you may have and are willing to share.

There will always be problems in tissue culture there will always be answers and solutions to the problems nothing is impossible. Some things that you will need to buy nobody is selling. You must make them or not go forward.Disclaimer, Tissue Culture can kill. Can you identify contamination? How to identify and safely dispose pathogens . Even with a guide (me) It will be a long journey. You will need time and space. You will need the root of all evil, money,No not for me, to buy or make what you need. You must have love in your heart as a fuel for imaginition. Money can't be your God, it is a heavy burden. For me it is an endless journey. May you have great joy and not suffer the agony of defeat. Your plant creations are a new currency. Even kids can buy your plants. You crossed the finish line. One man's opinion.

A fascinating, if often tragic, story. Extremely low prices for typical flytraps would take some of the pressure off of the wild populations, I would think. I agree with Andrew about police - they are like everyone else. There are good ones and there are not-so-good ones. Dedication and effort continue to be the main elements dividing success from failure.

I can hardly wait to see your photos, should you choose to post them David. 'Maybe worth starting a new thread for?

Well I already did my first try 10 days ago (for fun, I'm not planning to start a business). TC pictures

Mostly seeds from the ICPS. So far no contamination on them but it's also too early to see if the seeds are still alive (I sow half of them the traditional way as a positive control).
Only a tissue from a sarracenia got mold, decontamination protocol was clearly not ok. Other test tissues are still ok (or bleached to death).

Also I did it at work (microbiology research lab) so I'm not really concerned about any potential troubleshooting / issues or even potential "dangers".
For the "agony of defeat", it will just feel like a regular day then. I have beers in the fridge for these kind of days ;)

Edit: I agree with bluemax, a new TC topic may be more appropriate, so I will not post any further TC related things here.
Anyway welcome and I look forward to read more!

Last edited:
I agree in the spirit of moving forward I will close this thread. But first, how about a treat? I KNOW AN answer to your problem. I went through 6 months of pain to learn this one. I tried all the standard solutions to sterilize seeds all failed. When I got them sterile they never germinated. I cried, quitting was not an option, but I quit. Funny but ten min. I thought of the answer! Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, 1drop tween or plain dish soap added to the 70% isopropyl Alcohol. For two minutes, then, rinse for 2 min. In distilled water. In the Hood. On to the ga-3 soak,
And ready for implantation. But, wait some of of those Tuberous Drosera seed are so small, draft from the hood will blow them out of the hood.You can put ten of those seeds on a pin head. With a paper plate sterilized for a wind breaker. Take a sterile dental tool, you can find them at the flea market. Use the butt of the tool, dip into sterile water-just the tip of the end into sterile water. The seed will attach to the end like magic, okay it will adhere due to the surface tension of water. You will see this work, You have denatured the seed coat, you may not need the ga-3. You know I am a plant tissue culturest and it was a treat for me to give you the info. Peace, This Thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back