User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes fanatic with Eddie pix!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes fanatic with Eddie pix!

Hi all!
    I have been growing nepenthes species and hybrids for a few years now. I bought a teeny tiny edwardsiana seedling a few years ago about the size of a dime and seed grown. It survived being removed from its pot by a squirrel when outdoors for the summer and dropped a few feet away. It is a tough plant! Currently it is pitchering for me indoors under T5's. It keeps on growing! As soon as I figure out how to post a photo I will share a few. I put one as my avatar. Pitcher is about 3 inches. I also have other cool neps.
    Last edited by Villosagal; 03-11-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of temp drop do you provide for your Eddie? I would love to have one, one day. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy does fine with a 15 degree drop at night at 60-75% humidity. In summer it even survives the heat outside! It loves the winter very much and does its main growing then.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you keep it in a terrarium during winter or does it tolerate the low humidity? Thanks, especially since I don't think you expected to be bombarded with my questions after introducing yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My neps are on one of those mini greenhouse racks in a room where I keep a couple pet macaws. It is a weird room that naturally has a temperature drop in the evenings as it is on the end of the house. My news are in tray ( not standing in water) and this creates good consistent humidity of 60-75% in the room. The birds like it and the plants like it. I also have huperzia mosses. I think the volume of moist sphagnum in all the pots keeps the humidity in a good range. I also have very bright lights that are mixed...6500 and 2700 T5's. I think the key is to finds plants that tolerate your conditions. I could use the plastic cover that comes with those mini greenhouses in a pinch should humidity drop for any reason for longer then a day or two. I cannot keep certain neps. Villosalicious do not thrive for me but so far I have not tried seed grown villosas. Seed grown neps are simple hardier then clones. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does, thanks. Also, you have SEVERAL pet macaws!? You are one of the luckiest people ever! I hope I get to have one one day, again, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 macaws and one special needs Amazon. Got them all 30 years ago. Hand fed two of them. All USA born. Two were rescues. Consider a rescue. So many big birds need homes! Oh and you are quite welcome. Start with some hardy hybrid neps. I have some lowii crosses that produce spectacular pitchers and are super tough.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already have a ventrata and a ventricosa. I've looked into Lowii crosses before. I'm not looking into getting a bird anytime soon, but I plan to, one day. Until then, I dream of owning a hyacinth. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast