Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ScatterPants of Portland, OR. Greetings through pictures

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ScatterPants of Portland, OR. Greetings through pictures

Hello everyone. I have been in the chat and lurking around a bit so thought I'd finally put together an intro thread. I'm just starting to get into carnivores aside from some success with Nepenthes before and a failure with Darlingtonia outdoors over winter some years back. I have a 4ft T5 setup on wire shelving right now and the tentative plan is to eventually wrap it with reflective insulation which I already have a big roll of. For now I have the beginnings of my humble setup. I'm trying to focus on smaller plants so I won't run out of room so quickly but it is difficult to stick to that rule. I've also got a little terrarium with light and fogger hooked up to it to play with. Thank you to all the friendly people who welcomed me to Terraforums on the shoutbox. Well I guess I won't delay much longer - here's some pics.

I really like the Mexican Pinguicula. Only have a few so far. Here's the first one I got P. laueana. I'm liking the way the new growth is looking.

Here's the Pinguicula I like most of the ones I've got, P. jaumavensis. It was cuter than I expected when I got the little thing.

P. cyclosecta

Here's a rough picture of some Nepenthes ampullaria seedlings. The cotyledons appeared about 2 to 3 weeks after sowing.

Here's the container I have been keeping those seedlings in. The fine green sphagnum is the result of my failed experiment planting drosera seeds into live chopped up sphagnum. Oh well I learned something and got free sphagnum can't complain.

Multiplying sphagnum as much as I can in case I'd like to use it as growing medium for things like the Utricularia seeds I'm waiting on.

Some Drosera roseana gemmae from LuLuMegan

I got this Nepenthes 'Gentle' when it looked kind of sickly with no pitchers. It's put out a few basal offsets now and also has its first pitcher from the larger leaves.

Some ground cherry 'Aunt Molly' seedlings and basil

Ground cherry flower

I've also been getting into growing orchids. Here's Neofinetia falcata

Schoenorchis scalopendria

Mediocalcar decoratum

And grabbed these 4 today at an orchid show.

Group shot of my orchids

And lastly here's a couple of my favorite cacti. First one is Ariocarpus fissuratus

And an Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus I grew from seed and grafted twice
    Last edited by ScatterPants; 04-18-2016 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very nice collection, and I dig the red moss! Welcome to TF. I was at the orchid show as well, though I went Saturday.
    - Mark

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was pretty surprised to see a crane fly on that ping. Also, what is that fuzzy stuff on your first succulent?

Welcome to the forum.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite a nice collection there!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome fellas! Regarding the hair - I believe you are referring to the Ariocarpus fissuratus which is technically a cactus, though it only ever gets very undeveloped spines and as an adult they will never prick ya. The wooly hair grows naturally from the plant. Ariocarpus are small cacti and the one I've got is quite old. I have had it maybe 7 years or so but it could easily be 20, 30, or more years older than that.
    Last edited by ScatterPants; 04-18-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! perhaps we can do a ping trade someday.

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScatterPants View Post
    Thanks for the welcome fellas! Regarding the hair - I believe you are referring to the Ariocarpus fissuratus which is technically a cactus, though it only ever gets very undeveloped spines and as an adult they will never prick ya. The wooly hair grows naturally from the plant. Ariocarpus are small cacti and the one I've got is quite old. I have had it maybe 7 years or so but it could easily be 20, 30, or more years older than that.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has anyone told you that you have good moss? 'cause you do.