Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I had read darn near everything on the topic- but hadn't heard that yet. Thanks for the tip!

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to look into a book called the savage garden by Peter D'amato. It covers pretty much everything related to carnivorous plants.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll look into it. For now I'm pretty sure we have the basics down (water, sun, medium) for this plant but looking into making more sounds great!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to look into other carnivorous plants. Drosera capensis has virtually identical care requirements to a vft, but without a dormancy. Sarracenia purpurea also has similar care requirements, but it needs a dormancy.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the little bit I've read it sounds like drosera are annual plants- so can I grow them for longer than one season as long as I get an indoor setup or what?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most Drosera are perennials actually, but most are tropical or subtropical plants and would need to be grown indoors. There are only a handful that are annuals (mainly the D. indica complex, D. sessilifolia, and D. burmannii, though those last two can be convinced to live longer.)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiftyfrank View Post
    From the little bit I've read it sounds like drosera are annual plants- so can I grow them for longer than one season as long as I get an indoor setup or what?
    Echoing nimbulan, the majority of drosera are perennial. If you don't want to keep them indoors, there are many temperate species that you can stick outside for the winter, such as d. filiformis. Never be closed minded with the abilities of sundews, they live all over the world and are one of the most diverse carnivorous plant groups.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well in Michigan, winter care for temperate plants can be tricky since it gets far colder than most of them can tolerate, especially when grown in pots. Some people will move plants into unheated rooms or garages for the winter to keep them cold but avoid freezing. Drosera linearis and Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea do grow natively in Michigan, though D. linearis is not common in cultivation as it is considered a more difficult species.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast