Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Hi from Seattle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi from Seattle

Very new to carnivorous plants, but have just fallen in love with bladderworts and have been a long time fan of pitcher plants.

Currently doing a lot of research and planning so I can fill a large demijohn I've had for some time and this seems like a great venue to gain some knowledge as well as admire everyones' plants! So far I'm waiting on my first bladderwort to arrive (u. sandersonii), but I'm already eager to obtain more.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

In regards to the setup you plan to use, terrestrial Utricularial will do fine in an undrained container, but pitcher plants will not. I am not sure which pitcher plants you are referring to, but all will not do well in such a container for various reasons, and most will outgrow such a container.

Anyways, plenty of people grow terrestrial utrics in containers like that, but the only downside is that you won't be able to propagate it in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Benurmanii!

Thank you for your advice on pitcher plants. I briefly reading that they don't do well in enclosed terrariums, so it's good to have this kind of confirmation (though I wish I could use them in there..they would look beautiful together). Very happy to hear that terrestrial utricularia will do fine
    Last edited by J.Ang; 08-25-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Ang View Post
    Hi Benurmanii!

Thank you for your advice on pitcher plants. I briefly reading that they don't do well in enclosed terrariums, so it's good to have this kind of confirmation (though I wish I could use them in there..they would look beautiful together). Very happy to hear that terrestrial utricularia will do fine
    Which pitcher plants would you happen to be talking about? There are the temperate kind, native to the U.S.: Sarracenia. There are also the tropical kind (don't let that confuse you, a lot of them prefer it to be cool): Nepenthes. There is also the Cephalotus of Australia, and Heliamphora from South America. All but Sarracenia (and I would argue not necessarily Cephalotus) can do well in a terrarium with some airflow, as they like higher humidity than Sarracenia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I'm very interested in Sarracenia. I'd also like to completely seal off the terrarium with a cork top, so I guess pitchers of all kinds are just out of the picture for now.

If I attempt another more open terrarium, I will definitely consider the Heliamphora!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't seal the top off, you want some exchange of gases in there, as C02 is crucial for all plants. I know some people have done so, but I would imagine you would get better growth if you didn't seal it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely container. If you are into Utricularia vases can be wonderful too! I got a U. longifolia this year, stuck it in a vase with live red sphagnum, and its going nuts in there. Good luck on your CP adventures.