What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Amorphophallus konjac is going to flower

Ok today is the day im working on getting its pictures uploaded the smell is horrible. The flower has not opened all the way but its giving off its waves of smell. It seems like heat is coming from the flower. yesturday it was starting to open and the smell started but today the smell is creeping from my basement up the stairs and when you come in my front door you can even smell it 30 feet away. I expect it to get worse as its not fully open.

LOL!

From the pictures is this sucker in your room?

Can't wait to see the flower open.

I believe its fully open i was going to post the pictures yesturday but i had to upload them to my photobucket first and i went to check it and somehow they didnt upload but will definately have them up when i get done from school. Currently in school. This is in my basement as i couldnt possibly sleep in a closed room with this smell.

HOLY COW!!!!!! that thing grows fast its like bamboo! how fast does it actually grow on a daly average do you think?

I sure gotta get one of them. Thankfully, plantsforkids.com has some. Do ya have pics of the open flower?

-Ben

Ok here it is, drum roll please. It topped 54 inches tall

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

Today is day 3 off its bloom and its not smelling as bad and the male parts of the flower are turning brown. For a complete photo album of this plant in bloom visit my ablum konjac which shows the plant in bloom and visit the aroid album to see the day by day from the time that it was an inch tall. The flower buds growth rate on average was 2.5 inches. It started out as growing just a .1 of an inch which was noticeable believe it or not then it went to about. 25 then maybe .33 then .5 , .75 Then an inch for some time then 1.5 then 2. then it was hitting like 3 inches in a day and the quickest i seen it grow in a recorded day was 4.5 inches during the peak of it getting ready to flower. I am actually going to do a graph on the rate changes of the flower bud. Its actually amazing.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v165/carniorkid/konjac/
http://photobucket.com/albums/v165/carniorkid/aroids/

Whoa! That's amazing! It reminds me of jack-in-the-pulpit plants. Will it resume normal growth now and make leaves?

-Ben

yes actually it will here are some more pictures from today

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

Its still the same height and its pollen is brown. Actually i went to blow on the pollen and it was like a dust bomb into my face.
smile_n_32.gif
In a day or two it might just fall over and finish. Then the shoot underneath will prepare to sprout. But usually thats not till april. will keep you posted.

Do these plants need some sort of shade from light if they are grown outside? Or do they like direct light?

-Ben

usually outside they perfer not direct sun but lots of light. Actually they could be grown in full sun im guessing as long as there put out there from the start as if you grow them under the porch and then put them out in full sun they will be burnt to a crisp. I usually keep mine under my porch.

thats a beaut....

is that an aloe vera plant in a terraium..?

thanks

Brad

why yes it is. Actually its kinda like a terrarium its my leopard frogs live and the tank is set like a stream with plants up top and rocks and dirt and some plants twigs. I wanted to stick a plant in there that didnt get too big so that it could stay in there basically forever. Aloes usually dont like a lot of water so actually what i did was just lay on top of the rocks a aloe offshoot and it grew roots down into the water. Actually this is now my largest aloe i have which is wierd that it got used to water.

Check my website out for many pictures of the konjac for anyone who wants to see more in depth pictures. konjac go to the amorphophallus page and click on konjac in bloom.

Back