What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Amorphophallus konjac is going to flower

Well i am excited to say that my amorphophallus konjac with a tuber of 7 inches diameter is going to flower for the first time ever. As of 2 weeks ago i just happened to look at the tuber and i thought to myself, Is it just me or did this shoot up a little. First it was almost unnoticeable but now its obvious that it is going to flower its now grown a little over 2 inches and the shoot seems to grow a quarter of an inch a day at least but its still got some time to go as its only 4 inches high now. It is continuing to grow and the daily growth chart shows that an increase in its daily growth as days go buy. I have only recorded now for 5 days. It has a thick shoot that is starting to get a bright pink tip in the middle. Its still got some time to go. I figured i would post about this as it should be interesting to see such a huge flower for those who might not know what this plant is. Some on this forum i know that you grow them also. As it is a mentioned topic on this miscellaneous plant forum. A picture will be posted possibly in a few minutes of it so far.

That's pretty awesome. Those are related to that giant stink flower, right?

-Ben

Yes they are i also grow that one too! Amorphophallus titanum is the name exept mine is still young and only 3 feet tall. The of mine thats blooming is amorphophallus konjac

amorph006.jpg

How come it doesn't have any leaves?

-Ben

Amorphophallus only grow one leaf per season. The leaf starts off in a sheath as shown above. The leaves can get enormous, and are a big frond. When the tuber is mature, every now and then, rather than a leaf, it throws out a flower.

yes i will post a picture of it as it looked during the summer. It was taller then me.
smile_n_32.gif

Postscript: I was having a look at my Amorphophallus konjac yesterday and noticed that one of the tubers with an existing leaf was throwing out a second one right next to the first. I've never seen an Amorphophallus do this before - has anyone else experienced it?

this is very common in konjac. For some reason they seem to get to a certain age and divide into another one but this means 2 smaller shoots as compared to 1 giant. The thing is that they usually do this after they flower and i am keeping my eye out. they say if you chop the smaller shoot off while it is small it wont come back and it should continue as one.

KONJAC DATA

CURRENTLY 6 1/2 inches

I had one given to me as a christmas present that is the size of a small potato, but I know they get much bigger. How big are the tubers before they are likely to flower?

mine is a soccer ball size and it just is flowering this year.

KONJAC DATA- CURRENTLY 8.5 INCHES
getting closer

IMG_0723.jpg

ok its a while since i posted the newest picture of its bud. This morning the flower bud is up at 3 feet .

More pics please!
smile.gif

yes please pics and do you plan on getting seeds?

I have new pictures sorry for the wait its a big jump in size.. I dont really plan on getting seeds because i dont have pollen and also i think it would pull to much energy out of the plant and might cause the bulb to split into 2 smaller tubers as it takes a long time to ripen seeds.

Ok heres todays check back tomorow as it should be in bloom as its starting to give off a smell. 52 inches tall.
IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

Whoa! That's pretty cool! Are these plants difficult to grow?

-Ben

nope they are easy
just plant the bulb in the a pot in april give it sun and when it tells you that its done at the end of the season pull it out. The bulb increases drastically each year. Give lots of miracle gro. The plant actually in the fall snaps in half thats when you know its going dorment. If you seen the picture of the big plant in the summer on the first page of this topic picture it as someone breaking it in half almost exept it does it itself when its out of energy for the year.
smile.gif

Back