Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Figs--lots of em!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brandon. I just knew someone from Philly area would respond! Do you grow these in pots, or did you plant outdoors? BTW, how are the plants you won in the NASC auction last year doing for you?
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (CactusChris @ Mar. 13 2006,2:42)]I grow one called Brown turkey outside in Cheshire in the UK. It is on a west facing wall and about 2m high by 3m wide, it will grow more over the next few years. We get about 6 - 12 figs per year, and this should increase as the plant matures. Cuttings are easy in the summer - I just root them in water. The plant loses its leaves for winter so autumn/winter cuttings are less succesful.

Best regards

Chris
    Hi
    Do you grow yours in a container Chris? As I read that they need restrictive roots to allow the fruit to fully ripen. I say this as I have a 15foot plus Brown Turkey Tree that produces fruit but they never fully develop. Its a glorious tree though..

cheers

bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow one in a pot that survived fully. Yes philly is a popular place for figs. One of the one i got is from italians that brought cuttings from italy. You see fig trees all over in philly and usually there italians.
    last year pictures.
    My italian honey fig. Couldnt find my other fig pictures. this was last spring so this tree is like 5 foot tall and survived really well.

~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking plant!
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would any figs withstand the harsness(i think its harsh) of Zone 6?
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah they sure would. Get a chicago hardy fig. You can definately grow them in zone 6 and up even some get away with zone 5 just wrap them up and give them a coat for the winter
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    paradisenursery.com sells them but they are sold out of figs this year. They sell amazingly healthy figs.

And i figured i would get a picture of what my fig is doing right now. Its amazing. It has so many breba crop on it like 50 of them( breba is the early crop that is overwintered and then grows in spring but can be easily damaged over winter)Lucky me i wrapped it good and its really healthy.

Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12