What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Figs--lots of em!

JBL

I was talking to my father who has been growing almost everything but CP for years. He is now into figs, and is growing some in the ground in a sheltered area, and some potted. He told me about this site:

http://www.adrianosfigtrees.com/varieties.html

Amazing how many figs there are! I'm going to try my hand at some varieties suited to pots. I have an unheated sunporch to shelter them in the winter.

Are there any fig growers out there? What advice do you have?

My neighbor has a big fig tree. I think it's a Barnachotte. I never see him watering it or anything so I guess its cool with Texas weather. From where it is it gets mostly filtered light in the afternoon and shade the rest of the day.

Cool ;> My Italian relatives always had fig trees out on LI. This year I am getting Golden Alma and Hardy Celeste from paradise nursery
Always wanted to grow fresh figs since as long as I can remember. Not many options besides the container method and storing in the garage in my neck of the woods.

Tony

I grow one called Brown turkey outside in Cheshire in the UK. It is on a west facing wall and about 2m high by 3m wide, it will grow more over the next few years. We get about 6 - 12 figs per year, and this should increase as the plant matures. Cuttings are easy in the summer - I just root them in water. The plant loses its leaves for winter so autumn/winter cuttings are less succesful.

Best regards

Chris

Hey Tony, thanks for the US source--I may order form them soon. I love figs--can't eat too many since I'm diabetic, but a little is OK.

Thanks also to you Chris. I saw brown turkey on the Canadian site.

I only have one fig now - a potted Hardy Chicago - but I've grown others too.  Dormant cuttings are unbelievably easy to root and cuttings of pretty much any variety of fig are readily available.  The residents of the Fig Forum at GardenWeb are a great source.

Thanks Bruce! I'm feeling a little figgy lately!
smile_m_32.gif

I have 4 fig trees a italian honey fig, brownturkey, dwarf petite,and a newly rooted fig from a italian. I just love the taste of a fresh fig.

Thanks Brandon. I just knew someone from Philly area would respond!
smile_m_32.gif
Do you grow these in pots, or did you plant outdoors? BTW, how are the plants you won in the NASC auction last year doing for you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CactusChris @ Mar. 13 2006,2:42)]I grow one called Brown turkey outside in Cheshire in the UK. It is on a west facing wall and about 2m high by 3m wide, it will grow more over the next few years. We get about 6 - 12 figs per year, and this should increase as the plant matures. Cuttings are easy in the summer - I just root them in water. The plant loses its leaves for winter so autumn/winter cuttings are less succesful.

Best regards

Chris
Hi
Do you grow yours in a container Chris? As I read that they need restrictive roots to allow the fruit to fully ripen. I say this as I have a 15foot plus Brown Turkey Tree that produces fruit but they never fully develop. Its a glorious tree though..
smile.gif

cheers

bill

I grow one in a pot that survived fully. Yes philly is a popular place for figs. One of the one i got is from italians that brought cuttings from italy. You see fig trees all over in philly and usually there italians.
last year pictures.
My italian honey fig. Couldnt find my other fig pictures. this was last spring so this tree is like 5 foot tall and survived really well.

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

Nice looking plant!
smile.gif

would any figs withstand the harsness(i think its harsh) of Zone 6?

yeah they sure would. Get a chicago hardy fig. You can definately grow them in zone 6 and up even some get away with zone 5 just wrap them up and give them a coat for the winter
smile_n_32.gif

paradisenursery.com sells them but they are sold out of figs this year. They sell amazingly healthy figs.

And i figured i would get a picture of what my fig is doing right now. Its amazing. It has so many breba crop on it like 50 of them( breba is the early crop that is overwintered and then grows in spring but can be easily damaged over winter)Lucky me i wrapped it good and its really healthy.

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

Back