What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passiflora fruit

I have several passiflora of the same species that bloom all summer and set fruit. When the fruit is still green, it feels hard. When I let it ripen to an orange color or when it falls off the vine, the fruit is almost completely hollow. It only has a little tasteless pulp stuck to the inside of the skin. It is also seedless. I was wondering how to get fruit that's worth eating. Do I need to cross polinate with a different species, or is it just this particular species? Any help is appreciated.

Hi there

Do you know the variety?  Not all passiflora make good fruit.  Some will fruit on their own (like P. incarnata), other must be hand-pollinated and some must be cross pollinated with different plant of the same species.  Most hybrids do not make good fruit if they fruit at all.  So a lot depends on which species or hybrid you have. Some will make fruit but it won't really be very good.

They also like a lot of water but not "wet feet."

P. incarnata, P. edulis, P. ligularis, P. quadrangularis are some varieties that make tastey fruit.

Nope, I don't know what variety it is. I transplanted one plant from my brother's house. It grew and made several plantlets. That's how I know they are the same species. It looks very similar if not exactly like the one here, but I'm not sure. I don't have any blooming at the moment. Hope that helps in ID'ing it. I googled the ones that PAK mentioned, and it's not any of those, so that probably answered my question, unless there are others that make good fruit.

It looks like P. alatocaerulea or P. caerulea. I think the former hybrid...the most common Passiflora, does not make fruit.

I believe that to be P. caerulea. I have never had it make fruit. It is however one of the few varieties that tolerates cold at least moreso than most species. I could probably overwinter it here in VA if mulched well.

Back