Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strawberries

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Sup guys, I just recently aquired some strawberries and was wondering if you guys had any growing suggestions and "how tos". Thanks for the help!

~Wes~
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they are like weeds in good soil...spreading by roots and such. if there are no strawberries on there now then ur not getting any until next year. depending on where you live your going to want to over winter them by putting mulch on them.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... what I did was buy the dozen that comes in a box and prepare the soil for planting. That year's flowers I cut off. And that year's runners are limited to one runner/plant from a given runner, per plant. The next year I create another patch, doing the same. The first year's plants I allow to flower and pick the berries. And again I limit each runner to just one plant. The third year I repeat the process. In the 4th year, the first year's plants are tilled under and another patch is created. And so on and so forth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find mine do best in a sunny location, i try not to water the tops of the leaves when its super hot i've had them burn.sometimes i water at night. i think consistancy keeps the soil evenly damp i try to water everyday on hot ones and every otherday on cooler days. i have them in a planter box raised up off the ground maybe ten inches its about a foot and a half in width and about 8 feet long with a soil depth of about 6 to 8 inches~ i have berries just finishing from a second year growth. i put a tarp down first and then a good out door potting soil such as whitney farms ~ i sometimes add coffee grounds, if you have a snail problem i've found that cans of stale beer keep almost all of them away. i also have nasturtium flowers mixed in.
    good luck Wesley
    if your just looking to plant one or two small plants i would say plant them in a plastic pot vs clay ~ even though those strawberry terra cotta vessels are made for such ~ i find they dry out and really need a good soaking daily in the summer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (tiffneycase @ July 16 2006,1:22)]if you have a snail problem i've found that cans of stale beer keep almost all of them away.
    I was having a slug problem and I tried all sorts of suggested remedies. Never went out of my way to buy beer before, so doing this for the first time flet strange. Since we also had cats, we had softfood cans that were only gong to be recycled. so I filled those with the beer. The slugs drowned, just like aphids in overfilled CP pots.

I've also tried other suggestions - diatomaceous earth powder, Snailrid, copper wire tied to the flowers and along the perimeter, and a recipe that is a cheaper substitute for beer - bakers yeast, sugar, and water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bakers yeast , sugar and water i too have more often available than beer ~ i'll try it ~ maybe i can treat the snails to a beer after work on fridays ~ i don't drink myself, hmmm all those snails seem to have a little smile while looking at me belly up ~ & all this time I thought they were saying thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres' a thought... esgargot! *mental image of soused snails*

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help guys. Greatly appreciated.

Ah yes, the drunken snail trick. The only downside to that is emptying all the cans. yuck. Salt sprinkled on the snails works well but is tedious and I never feel like slug/snail bait/poison works.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast