What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Growing

I am interested in starting to grow some different types of hibiscus plants. I am new to this type of hobby and am looking for advice. I have purchased three differnt types from the local nurserys but am looking for the more exotic. I have access to a very nice green house where I plan on growing the plant until it is of larger size and then replanting at my home. Please feel free to contact me if you have any advice or also grow/propagate the hibiscus. Thanks. Ron PS- I live in tucson and have access to lots of cactus if interested in trading and possibly can trade some carnvirous plants as well

I live in northern New York, and we have a bunch of temperate hibiscus in our yard. Basically, they can take a lot of sun, at least in my climate. We have some that get full sun all day in summer. And they keep coming back every year with huge blooms. I don't know if you're thinking about getting the kind of hibiscus I have, but nonetheless, I'd assume they're all very easy to grow, just give 'em lots of sun. They don't seem to care much about water.

Here's the type we grow:
hibiscus.jpg

-Ben

Just wanted to welcome you to TerraForums. I was is in Tucson this past January and had I computer access, I woulda tried getting in touch with / meeting Andrew.

Drosera36- I read these can be propagated via cuttings... Do you guys cut them back at any time? Just wondering if we could work anything out for me to get some parts so I can try to make my brother a few plants. Since he has aparently yet to ask you... Let me know if we could work something out
smile.gif

Jim-Scott, excuses excuses! LOL
Andrew

We don't tend to cut them back, but I can if you want. I did once try to make a cutting, but it quickly wilted, so I'm not sure what's going on there. I do have other colors, such as pink and also sorta a pinkish-red. Many also are dropping seeds now, so let me know if you want me to collect some.

Pinkish-red:
dscn2091.jpg

dscn2092.jpg

-Ben

Wow- very cool! Do they grow all around your plants from seeds? Any idea how easy to tend to grow? Cuttings, seeds- whatever... I'm sure we could work something out.
smile.gif
How big are those flowers? They look HUGE!

No, for some reason, no little babies appear, just the adults. I've never tried growin' them from seeds though. The flowers are usually about 9-10 inches across, and are smaller towards the end of the season, around now when they're about 6 inches across. I would be interested in any sort of cacti if your brother has any extra. I can send you as many seeds as you want.

-Ben

Oh hey i've got those, except mine hace red flowers, and some have white with red on the middle. I think the foliage is redish too.

Well, my brother doesn't actually "grow" any par-say... But we live in Tucson and they are everywhere LOL You want any cacti? I could defiatly get some for you...
smile_n_32.gif
I'm a grounds keeper and little "weeds" are all over the place- I usually just pull them and toss them in the trash. I wouldn't really be able to ID them for you though... Since I actually HATE cactus
smile_n_32.gif
I could get you some aloe too if that interests you... (Should be able to find a small plant.. or else definatly some material to get some to grow off of...) Intersed in my weeds?
smile_n_32.gif
I think he would be interested in trying some seeds and a few cuttings if at all possible... Maybe spread the love around (some seeds/cutting from each you have?)

Hmm, I didn't know cacti were weeds.
smile_n_32.gif
Yeah, Aloe would be cooler I guess, just no more Aloe vera!!! lol

Just PM the address you want me to send the seeds to, and I'll send some of each variety. I will also try making cuttings, and if they work, I'll send them too if that's ok.

-Ben

They have aloe (besides vera) in tuscon? I'd love to trade some cuttings/seeds for arizona succulents!

I know Prickly Pear can grow up hear... Give taht a go...

It would have to be one from this area though, like the ones I see at a beach in New Jersey, I'm guessing they're naturally there. But yeah, it would be cool to grow one. JLAP, I think Aloes are from Africa, so they wouldn't be growing in AZ.

-Ben

Oh not vera huh? lol.... hmm.... I looked up aloe.. cause i thought vera was the one everyone wanted.
smile_n_32.gif
I think I have this on the property (just by looking at the picture).. but they are big plants... So I don't think that's possible....

I already have a huge Aloe and it always makes babies.....
smile_n_32.gif

I guess if ya have any tiny succulents...

-Ben

Ahh oh well. Too big to ship.

Do you have Iguanas in Tucson?  If so, they love hibscus.  The pair that lived in my old yard could decimate a whole hedge of them in a couple of days.  
smile_h_32.gif

But the Iguanas are also good to eat.  They taste a lot like spotted owl.  
biggrin.gif

Is the deal still on?

-Ben

Oh man, surely you didn't really eat one? blahk!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Sep. 27 2006,7:28)]Is the deal still on?
-Ben
We had a deal?? lol
Honestly dude- Since I'm not into those plants... I have no idea what to offer you. LOL Your last post asked about succulents.... Uhm- you mean some cactus with lots of thorns? Or some specialty plant? spinney cactus I have growing all over like I said from the past few months of rain... other than that.. I have no idea.
confused.gif
Prickly pear I have (green ones and read ones) and then the random "weeds" I have no idea what they are specifically... The "wild" cactus we have, and even the ones that are for landscaping (yuck!!) grow pretty big... They're not like the little pretty potted things you guys buy at walmart.

Back