User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daffodils sprouting early. Help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    daffs are completely frost hardy in leaf or bud. I have some species that start coming up in November and grow right through the winter, flowering in late spring. hard freezes don't bother them at all.
    Stephen
    Sarracenia rosea?...don't be ridiculous!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had daffodils pushing up for a couple of months now. They are now about 5-6" tall even though we are still having (and will continue to have) cold weather fluctuating with some warm days. I think its pretty chilly outside now but by this afternoon it will probably be in the high 50s or low 60s. As long as the buds don't come out yet. Once the buds are out, a hard freeze will damage them.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the daffs are just starting to flower here, about 4 weeks early.

The second warmest winter on record and just 2 hours of lying snow all season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Another update… 3 flowers are now in full bloom and several others are on the way! They look fantastic.

The booklet that came with the bulbs says to cut off the flowers after they start to dry and die in order to avoid seed forming, which will eventually leave the bulb more energy for later. Do you guys agree with this? How long does a flower usually last? Also, if I should cut them off after they begin to die, should I cut the flower stem at its base or near the top (by the flower)??

Thanks for the help!

EDIT:
    After some reluctant and lazy research, I have read that cutting the flowers is not completely necessary. It will increase the chance of having bigger blooms next year though...
    Last edited by joossa; 03-07-2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Overnight research...
    -Joel from Southern California

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tomorrow I'll take some pics. I remember when we planted all of them. There's atleast a thousand lining the driveway.

In back of our cabin there's about 1500 'King Alfred' daffodils (we call them jonquils ) that we planted. Next time i'm up there and they are up i'll take pics.

aqua teen hunger force assemble!! disco's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here in bama i have daffodils outside and they are all in full bloom have been for about a month or so now and our azaleas are starting to sprout flowers too....the daffodils survived marble sized hail a few weeks ago, two tornados, flooding, temperature spikes and falls (it will be 75-80 degrees one day and freezing the next few days then back to 75-80 degrees) daffodils are tough little buggers!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

The daffodils are starting pop up once again... right on time!
    -Joel from Southern California

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12