User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daffodils sprouting early. Help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse Daffodils sprouting early. Help!

I bought a couple of “Colossal Daffodil” bulbs back in October. The booklet that came with them mentioned to plant them in early November so that the bulbs could start developing their root systems and begin sprouting in early-mid Spring.
    So, I did what the booklet mentioned: I planted them 6-7 inches deep in a fertilized potting mix that contained a bit of perlite to aid drainage. I planted them next to the walkway in front of my home that leads to the entrance. The area itself faces east and receives plentiful morning sun.

While I was on my way to my car outside my house, I noticed little green “bumps” in the soil. I took a closer look and noticed that the daffodils were starting to grow. The little “leaf bumbs” had just barely broken the soil and were about 1cm above ground level. Is this normal? The book said that they would sprout in mid-spring. I am worried that the cold over night temperatures might kill them… What do you suggest I do?

Thanks!
    -Joel from Southern California

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We already have foot tall plants and some flowers here lol

Thanks, global warming!

I'm surprised because you live in CA and we live in GA. I guess it's because ours have been planted for years and yours are new.

They should make red ones

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What temp do you consider "cold"?
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Our overnight temperatures are in the low to mid 20’s. Daytime highs do not get higher than 65.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same here daff's, irises, and colombine all starting to grow. you should put some leaves around the base of plants to protect them from the cold or you could just put a plastic sheet or simalar over them every night and take off dureing the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah up here in Mich we had a really light winter (between 40 and 50 degrees) untill now (about 7 degrees and it's trying to hit the record low tomorrow) I have a few tulips in my garden that I think are going to die (they are already about an 2" out of the ground) =/

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Occasionally, the Holland bulb plants spring up early when there is a winter warm spell. But they are adapted to the ebb and flow of temps and will stop growth again when it cools down. They'll be just fine. No need to worry. Could be worse... you could be where I am and the high being only 7 F.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Just a bit of an update: The daffodils are doing great. The ones that sprouted first are now about 5-6 inches high, and the rest have started to grow. The temperatures are now in the high 30’s overnight, and the plants do not appear to show signs of damage from the cold. Hopefully it will get warmer once the flowers bloom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast