Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tamarind seeds

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tamarind seeds

Can they be germinated?? They are hard like stones, so I'm pretty sure you'd need some kind of trick to get them started- scarification?? probably hot, wet stratification?? And if they DO grow, what then??

Someone asked me and I drew a total blank, but I like the fruit and if I could grow some I would enjoy it I think, so I ask their question here for the greater good of sweet and sour lovers everywhere- thanks for reading!!

PS the seeds come free with the food so I'm not too worried about wasting them, they just get thrown out anyways
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this those tamarindo pods they sell at the grocery store?

You like those?

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, yes I do

And I can say that I've found they are likely gonna be a REAL pain to try and grow where I live... the fruits take around 300 days to mature.... the coldest temp they like is apparently 18 C

I might try them but I doubt they'll go too well- anyone have experience that might suggest otherwise??
    Da Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mature tamarind trees are about 10 meters tall, so it might be difficult growing them indoors, or even in a greenhouse. You might be able to control the growth of a plant and keep it small, but I don't know how productive it would be. I'm surprised you can get tamarind seeds at the store in Ontario. Is there an Asian population there?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have them in the hispanic food section over here in georgia.

Personally I like those cactus fruit. I could eat those all day. And leches!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what those seeds look like, but, I've heard if you can scratch (shave off) some of the hard coating of tough seed coats germination is easier.

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tropics- I read that they can get up to 100' tall and 40+ wide, I basically plan on "bonsai or bust" And yes, lol, we are a pretty multicultural area- I have a middle eastern specialty food store, a few Chinese food stores (they actually sell bottles of pickled guppies and stuff like that, CRAZY range of products) and a Phillipino grocery mart all within walking distance- there's an Indian one somewheres about but the most convenient one closed a few years ago. It's pretty easy to find just about anything (only "spice" I still can't re-locate is fenugreek seed, what a shame)

JLAP -Lyshee nuts are tasty but the odd resemblance to eyeballs creeps me out too much to properly enjoy 'em

Zappafan- I am definitely going to try a bit of "scarification", with a few different things- IF I get any results I will post what worked for me, thanks for the replies!!
    Da Growlist