What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dinosaur Plant

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My wife received this plant as part of a kit for and Easter object lesson, depicting the Resurrection. I've never heard of the plant, but apparently, this plant can appear dead and remain in that state until you add water. Then it turns lush green.

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/dinosaur-plant/index.html

Anyone else heard of it?

I used to have some many years ago. They died. Not just dry and be dormant but died and went brown and wouldn't come back.

I think it like a moss or something.

IIRC its actually native to Florida..............if i also remember right its generally best to grow it moist year round and not have it go dormant

I thought they were from like, Mexico.

I typed in Selaginella pilifera in google and the first site I got was like some drug/witchcraft sight. It said this and I thought it was cool so I'll paste it.

Brings peace, power and abundance. Jericho rose is a rare magical commodity, sought after for use in voodoo and Cuban Santeria love and money spells and is sought in the Holy Land by pilgrims as a holy relic. The amazing Resurrection Plant is a marvelous example of Nature's Wonders and can serve as a Living Symbol of one's faith and confidence in Natures Power to resurrect and bring life to what seems dead and lifeless. It is said that you will have all the blessings life can bring, if the plant, or a piece of it is kept in the home in a bowl of water. The water needs changed often and is sprinkled about the home to cleanse it of all negativity and bring peace. When carried on a person is said to absorb negative energy. It is used as an amulet to promote a long and healthy life.

It's also known as the Rose of Jericho and ummm... let's see it's a xerophyte....

I found an ethnobotanical website selling it... It's not of any recreational use 'cause I would have heard of it for that reason so I guess it has medicinal value. Unless it has some superstitious value as an ingredient of Ayahuasca and like I said I sure havn't seen it for sale before.Prolly for headaches or stomach ailments or something mildly interesting but not practical unless you're a traditional Maya.... It could also be Selaginella lepidophylla.....

Rose of Jericho also applies to 2 other plants....Anastatica hierochuntica and Odontospermum pygmaeum..... I'm typing as I'm finding stuff.... uhhh... occurs in Texas too I think.

Well that's about it.

See this thread.

Dunecraft sells these plants. Click on the Dunecraft link/ad when it should appear on the board.

I bought one a little while ago. I've been neglecting it though. The SECOND the water goes dry, it starts to curl up again and stops growing. It is kinda neat to see how it unfurls though.

They're called resurrection plants for a reason!

Back