Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclamen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyclamen

My girlfriend and I just bought four Cyclamen for our patio. We planted them in a big pot and put it in the corner that receives bright indirect light all day long (my Neps are in the corner that receives direct afternoon sunlight for over an hour each day and they're thriving so far!). From what I've read on the internet, Cyclamen seem like picky plants, so I'm just reaching out to you guys for any tips or tricks related to successful Cyclamen cultivation.

Ready...GO!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-07-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They like it cool! Warmer than room temperature equals dormancy.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thanks for the tip. It'll be interesting to see how they do outside in San Diego. It's pretty mild here year round so perhaps they'll do ok. Would you happen to know what time of year they flower?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    October, November, or December in their normal habitat. They are often sold alongside poinsettias and christmas cacti. From what I hear they are difficult to reflower and require dormancy if they are to reflower. I've only had one that didn't last because I didn't do my homework so please don't consider me an expert! Needless to say after losing the one last November I did do some homework to learn more about this species.

xvart.

edit: I'm not sure exactly about San Diego seasons but I think they would do well outside year round.

edit: Here's a decent post at another gardening forum that might help.
    Last edited by xvart; 09-30-2007 at 07:41 PM.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wiki says:

Cyclamen are commonly grown for their flowers, both outdoors and indoors in pots. Several species are hardy and can be grown outdoors in mild climates such as northwest Europe and the Pacific Northwest.

The Cyclamen commonly sold by florists is C. persicum, which is frost-tender. Selected Cyclamen cultivars can have white, bright pink, red or purple flowers. While flowering, florists' Cyclamen should be kept below 68 F (20 C, 293 kelvins), with the night time temperatures preferably between 44 F to 59 F (6.67 C to 15 C, or 280 K to 288 K). Temperatures above 68 F (20 C, 293 K) may induce the plant to go dormant.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-07-2008 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info guys. From what I can tell, our area of San Diego gets a nice temperature drop at night, especially in the winter (but even a pretty good one in the spring and summer) so I'm hoping our Cyclamen do well outside. They'll never get direct sunlight where they sit on the patio, and from what I've read so far, that's a good thing.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-07-2008 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure they are not planted too deep or they will rot. The crown should be about 1/2" above the soil line. Have some fungicide on hand as well they go south quick if not treated at the first signs of rot. Water them only in the morning so they will have time to dry out during the day. Just a couple bits I picked up.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my mom has had one for a wicked long time. it flowered like crazy this summer, and after suffering a cat attack, it's starting to flower again. she keeps it in a south window, which only gets dappled sun because of the neighbor's hedges, and under a ceiling fan which is always on. for watering, she only gives it a small amount every day or two...she describes it as a "dropperfull". not too wet, but not too dry. also, she keeps it on top of a ten foot ladder to keep the cat from eating the new leaves.
    -Emily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast