What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Received some plants in the mail the other day.

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
My dad sent me some postcards from the university he works at. They are made from 100% recycled materials, plus have seeds embedded in them. Needless to say, they are not very difficult to grow. Per the instructions, I soaked the postcard in water for a couple of hours, then laid it on some soil, and waited. I have a "new" postcard somewhere, but couldn't find it, so you can't see a great beforehand picture. The first picture is one I just started a couple days ago, and the second picture was from a couple weeks ago. You can still sort of see the design on the cards. I just moved offices, and the plants got banged up considerably in the move, but I have no doubt they will bounce back. I believe they are Marigolds, but someone else may be able to correct me if I am wrong.

Postcard2-83008.jpg

Postcard1-83008.jpg

This postcard is being used as the new "thank you" note, instead of wasting paper on letters and envelopes. It's one way to advertise the "green initiatives" that universities are working towards.

xvart.

this is amazing! not bad i must say

Wow thats awsome xvart, they do look like Marigolds..

The things that people come up with! That's pretty cool! :)

The things that people come up with! That's pretty cool! :)

You're telling me. After a little research, I discovered that there are companies that do the same thing with business cards and coasters! The business cards would be kind of cool, but coasters? That I don't really get.

xvart.

Wouldn't the coasters start having plants on them if your coffee table was really dirty and you put glasses on them once a week until the glasses sweat? LOL

What a great idea! I'd love one of the coaster ones!

My mom showed me those a month or two ago. Maybe we ought to try capensis seeds...

sweet! does your dad work in the plant sciences department at UTK?

sweet! does your dad work in the plant sciences department at UTK?

Nope. He is the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Services. The administration was looking for ways to save paper and promote green initiatives, so this was what came about for housing, athletics, and other functional areas of the university.

I'll have to take some more pictures once I find my camera again because they are growing very nicely. Almost need to be staked up now!

xvart.

Back