Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vegetable garden '10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little update:

tons of stuff are just starting to put out their first true leaves being...summer squash, zucchini, acorn and butternut squash. sugar sweet pumpkins, radish, beans.

gerimantion on newly planted stuff: some lettuce and swiss chard is up, so is the spinach

last planted stuff its late everything is supposed to be in by memorial day here. but the stuff i planted i think should be ok. seeds of. more of all the squash, field pumpkin, and golden gem pumpkin, cucumbers, eggplant, cantaloupe, watermelon hopefully they come up. tomato large red cherry too

hope to possibly get some red bell pepper plants tomorrow, maybe some other things

lost 2 broccolli plants, put out 3 things of beer lol for slugs

not sure what else, pictures should come within the next couple weeks when things start to get a little bigger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just built the new veggie garden today!
    spent pretty much the entire day on it..
    last year it was four separate beds:

(photo from one year ago..four new beds under construction)

This year the four beds, plus the former grass paths inbetween, have all been merged into one giant bed:

(photo from earlier today!) (there is one thing CP-related in this photo..who can spot it?

The garden is approx 25x25 feet..
    around here, you dont plant veggies until Memorial Day weekend..which is right now!
    (risk of frost through May..now its safe)

We will be growing:

tomatos
    cukes (I made the big pyramid cucumber trellis a few years ago)
    One pumpkin vine
    acorn squash
    lettuce
    eggplant
    strawberries..

thats probably it..
    serious planting commences tomorrow and Monday.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Just built the new veggie garden today!
    spent pretty much the entire day on it..
    last year it was four separate beds:

This year the four beds, plus the former grass paths inbetween, have all been merged into one giant bed:

The garden is approx 25x25 feet..
    around here, you dont plant veggies until Memorial Day weekend..which is right now!
    (risk of frost through May..now its safe)

We will be growing:

tomatos
    cukes (I made the big pyramid cucumber trellis a few years ago)
    One pumpkin vine
    acorn squash
    lettuce
    eggplant
    strawberries..

thats probably it..
    serious planting commences tomorrow and Monday.

Scot
    Looks great, you planting seeds or plants themselves? we had an extremely early season here, we are also supposed to have things in by memorial day but we had things in a couple weeks back. I think they were going to say its one of the hottest may's we've had

haha is your cp related thing the tote that collects your cp water? haha i have one of those too.

Also set up the greenhouse, well plastic one, inside the larger one which still has to be built. so i might be moving cps out there soon to get them growing better, no i have protection from the animals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is video of my carnivour deck garden and down to the two raised veggie beds i put in this year.
    Tomatoes
    big beef,
    big rainbow
    jet star
    supersonic
    burpee delicious
    brandywine
    ferry morris yellow
    Beets
    Sweet peas. love the edible pods
    cucumbers
    eight ball zuc. squash
    buttercrunch lettuce
    red sails lettuce

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice!
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dustin View Post
    Looks great, you planting seeds or plants themselves?
    thanks!
    we usually just buy small plants at the local garden center..
    we literally want ONE pumpkin plant..buying seeds, while cheaper, is just a big waste of seeds for us..

bought 4 small tomato plants and 3 eggplants today..

haha is your cp related thing the tote that collects your cp water? haha i have one of those too.
    yep, you got it!
    im considering building a larger rain barrel, to collect rain water from the shed roof..
    last summer our veggie garden was mostly a failure because it was REALLY wet..it rained virtually every day in June! and the downspouts from the entire house roof discharge right there directly into the garden..so this spring I moved one downspout so its discharging into the front yard, and the second downspout im planning to also re-locate so it spills along the side of the garden..so I will also have to re-do my rail barrel..im going to add a small gutter to the shed roof, and a larger barrel, for my CP rain water supply, and all the water from the house roof will discharge farther away..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another little update,

i was finally able to get outside and do some weeding fun fun lol. most of them are out.

i found purslane among the weeds, it did come up the year before last, didn't come up last year but did come up this year, i'm guessing its because we tilled it? I like it, its small now but when it gets big it has nice succulent stems, make a nice snack. i think it said it was the plant that had one of the highest omega 3 levels. grows randomly in the garden.

not as many beans came up as i hoped...hopefully the sprouts grow leaves, most don't have any, just the stem. i do have a few nice plants going though, i might transplant them all together, later.

squash are growing rapidly, so are tomatoes, i have tons of green lettuce starting to put out edible leaves, and some red lettuce, also the spinach and swiss chard came up great

i saw a rabbit today while i was working on it :P hopefully it doesn't get any ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here are a few veggies starting to come in, the tomatoes are hard to get before july, but i might get these to ripen this year, im feeding them fish fertilizer( neptunes harvest), and espoma's tomato tone went in the soil when i planted them, well see .I've never gotten a tomato before july in this area of virginia, like ive lived some where else LOL
    have you ever seen 8 ball zucchini ,you grow them to about the size of an soft ball or a little larger, great for stuffing and baking, seasoned burger and rice topped with fetta cheese. check out the plant in the last shot , that is the zucchini plant its huge already, and this is the first one from the plant , there are three plants in this clump.
    Last edited by uphwiz; 09-15-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast