Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vegetable garden '10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, i think i've seen those zucchini before, they look pretty cool, maybe ill have to try them sometime.

i just planted some more broccolli, golden bell, green bell, and red bell peppers in the garden, i also planted eggplants. i may have killed the spinach though, i spread them out they don't look to good maybe they just need a few days to get the roots to take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, i've had a few tomato plants that seem to be wilted, should i remove them? they don't seem to pop back up in the afternoon or after a watering, the ones right next to them are growing great though, I'm suspecting they might have some kind of disease so id rather remove them before it spreads too much.

Any thoughts, I'll try to get some pics up shortly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tomato's are like weeds, they should be fine. I would guess a few other issues over disease. Could be over watered (less draining soil then the others). Also if it's in the ground something could be eating the roots (gophers).

Quote Originally Posted by dustin View Post
    Hmm, i've had a few tomato plants that seem to be wilted, should i remove them? they don't seem to pop back up in the afternoon or after a watering, the ones right next to them are growing great though, I'm suspecting they might have some kind of disease so id rather remove them before it spreads too much.

Any thoughts, I'll try to get some pics up shortly
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do daily watering so maybe ill stop or water them a little more lightly than the others, hopefully that is the problem. Thanks

here's pics, they were taken pretty fast but just to give everyone a hint of what i got, just a basic in ground garden, would have like to of made it raised beds but do to money issues that wasn't possible this year. gotta love weeding it lol, everything is organic in the garden.

Start with pics of the wilting, see if it easier to help

Other tomatoes

There was a total of i think 22 large plants, then i have seedlings at the very end along with random ones coming up from 2 years ago

Squash

↑front are zucchini, few in the back right corner are summer yellow

↑2 are acorn and 2 are butternut squash

Large pumpkins i planted field pumpkins and Golden jem, said 22lb

↑small pumpkins sugar sweet only supposed to be like 6in diameter

watermelon, crimson sweet

Cantaloupe-sierra gold

Eggplant~not sure how it grows first time growing it

leaf lettuce ruby red and black seeded simpson

MY PEPPERS Lol they are bell i would love to do some hot peppers but i can't put them in the garden this year red yellow and green

Broccoli

↑ can anyone tell me how i know its ready to be harvested? first time growing broccoli too. its about half the size of my palm

not pictured...
    beans
    korean perilla (sesame leaf)
    radish-whats left are going into flower, getting more seeds soon to plant more
    spinach
    onions red and i think a sweet yellow or white onion not sure
    cucumbers
    green and red swiss chard

If i get seeds from the radish flowers can i just plant them right away? or would they need to be stratified? I also would like to collect seed for next year would any of these require cold stratification or could i just wash dry and pack them for next year? thanks

i hope to have a vegetable stand, lol i say my entire family might dent what we get, but definitely not all of it

sorry pics are a bit on the large size
    Last edited by dustin; 06-21-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well from the pic's there are a few more things I could add.

1. The soild does look over watered. If I'm correct the ailing plants are on the right of pic #5? Does that happen to be a low spot? If it is then when you water the plants on the left water ends up over on the right. The soild under those plants looks almost like mud.

2. The soild looks a little ruff compared to a good garden soil. Could be the soild is causing issues ( not well drained, too acidic/alkaline, combination of issues, etc.) Next year get some good garden soil or compost and mix it in. I would recommend getting something with or adding perlite to the mix also. A good garden soil should never get too wet as it drains very well. I don't think I could over water my garden uless I left the water running for two days straight!

I have never harvested broccoli (tried growing it a few times). It always went to flower. I would always think the same thing "it's going to get bigger"! It never would and just send up flower shoots. I would harvest it if I were you, but that is mainly because I have never even gotten one that big. Once it goes to flower you might as well just toss it in the compost.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, thanks fo info

We do have black walnut trees everywhere, before i planted i added a couple bags of manure probably could use some more though, it was what we had lying around.

I'm guessing the soil is a little acidic the whole area used to be weeds, it has been tilled up. It isn't perfectly level either like you added. which could be the problem

I will water a little less then from now on. Actually the soil does sink when i step on it, its not completely hard, it just does that when i water, when i weed a lot of it is turned up

Well I'll keep you updated on how things grow I'll ease up on the watering too

=========================================

Looks like you were right frilleon thanks, the tomatoes are coming back strong thankfully i tried the forum before i tossed them. the broccolli are a little wilted i'm pretty sure because they are a cool season crop and they wilt in the mid day heat then pop back up nice in the late afternoon.
    Last edited by dustin; 06-23-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i was all excited and ready to try the first broccoli i harvested but then when we cooked it tons of tiny and medium sized catepillars fell out of it. so im guessing some butterfly decided to lay eggs in them....any ideas on how to prevent this? i was thinking about the panty hose things putting it over the broccoli maybe loose rubber band around the stem or something do you think that would help keep bugs off organically?

my grandparents said i should try using a little se7en on them, they only seem to be on my broccoli plants though. they also said maybe i should have let them soak in cold water first haha lol, that probably could have helped too :P
    Last edited by dustin; 07-01-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dustin View Post

my grandparents said i should try using a little se7en on them, they only seem to be on my broccoli plants though. they also said maybe i should have let them soak in cold water first haha lol, that probably could have helped too :P
    Do you really want to spray deadly poisons on plants you intend to EAT?
    sevin on vegetables is a really bad idea..

I wont even spray roundup on weeds in the vegetable garden..
    I dont want to risk vegetables taking up anything suspect from their roots..
    unlikely to be harmful, but not 100% certain its safe..

personally, I wouldnt spray ANY insecticide on vegatbles..
    I dont care what the labels say..

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...135140662.html

Scot

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast