What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Square Spaghetti Squash Project

• Thread starter DETHCHEEZ
  • Start date
I Know, I Have Problems
LOL

1st Day / Just Put The Box On
I'll Keep The Pics Updated As It Grows
Which Shouldn't Be Long / It Grows Fast

DC

I once tried this with watermelons. It didn't work... the fruit just squished inside and was ruined. Hope it works for you, though! Take the box off and pretend it grew naturally.:-))

How's it going?

where is the squash did it work?

Sorry forgot to update

I abandoned the project
The plastic case was no where near strong enough
It started to crack & break with in a few days so I removed it

If the case had been stronger & held up it would have worked

DC

Anyone ever tried this with nep pitchers ? :p

Nep Pitchers. . .

I'm pretty certain that it would work with nep pitchers, as my n. truncata has a pitcher with a nice dent in it because it was inside the pot when it matured. And behold the dent is still there after all these months.

Last edited:
I'm sure with the right mold, you'd be successful.
My first Bical pitcher is still around and it's got a funny dent in it from initially forming against the lid of the pot.
Don't forget, Asians have square watermelons, and even Buddha pears.
BuddhaPears1.jpg

square-watermelons_medium.jpg

That's awesome!

i<3carnivores you are the bomb, I knew about the square watermelons, but the Buddha pears just made my day. Bravo :clap:

If you want to do this, look to Japan...that's where those pictures are from. Plus I seen the square watermelons there myself.

I had to google those buddha pears.... Holy Chao they're real!

I would imagine the key to any sort of shaping is to use graduated molds (sm > med> large) or molds made of silicone or some other stretchy material.

The trick is to use molds that will hold near the same volume as the fruit should grow up to be. If the mold is too small, the fruit would burst the mold. Too big, and you get voids.

Back