Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stinkhorn mushrooms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stinkhorn mushrooms.

I've lived in a few parts of the country, and in almost every state, I always see some kind of stinkhorn mushroom while I live there. I always thought that they were very, well, cool.
    Is it possible to grow these in pots? and if so, how? And where would I get spores or whatever is needed?
    Any amount of help is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Chomp
    They're watching us. o.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of anyone growing these but it would be cool, they have some amazing shapes. Most mushroom hobbyists only want to grow gourmet and magic mushrooms - things they can eat.

Since these will not be eaten you could try simply grinding up some collected stinkhorns into your prepared substrate. With any luck the spores will germinate and begin to spread it's mycellium in the substrate. Eventually maybe someday (maybe not this year) if kept outside you will have them growing in the container. It's a very hit or miss method but I have heard of people attempting to inoculate their woods with the big fairytale mushrooms Fly Agarics by grinding them up under the appropriate trees.

What would mainly be needed to give it a try would be find out what sort of substrate your intended Stinhorn grows on: rotten wood, grasses, pine needles or whatever you see in it's habitat and create a soil mix that would approximate the nutrients or conditions found in their habitat. But then again if stinkhorns have some symbiosis with a tree then it wouldn't work unless you had the tree and it's wild soil potted as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I have not seen one lately, and I fear it's too late in the season to find any. I actually checked the last spot I saw one earlier today, but I had no luck...
    If anyone finds one, (of any sort) please notify me if you're okay with shipping, and maybe we can work out a trade. (I'm not sure I have much to trade though) Although, if I'm gonna grind them up anyway, probably something along the lines of an envelope would be fine.
    Thanks!
    Chomp
    They're watching us. o.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stinkhorns eh sounds interesting. i live in the pacific northwest and go on regular mushroom outings. i'll check them out in my books to see what grows around here and keep an eye out for them.

im usually looking for boletes and chantrelles so i dont have my eyes trained at spotting them but we'll see how it goes