What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID needed please.

• Thread starter Monkey
  • Start date
My fiance came back from a wedding with this little plant, I really like it, but it looks like it's going downhill. I'm pretty sure it's an African Violet, and needs a transplant right away.

DSCN4808.jpg

DSCN4807.jpg

DSCN4806.jpg

It is an African Violet.
Try removing that fibery crud out of the pot for starts.
It looks in good shape to me.

Don't let it sit in water, but do have a pot or tray under it to put water in...
better than watering from above.
Leaves don't like getting wet, and can kill them if cold water gets on them.
Let dry between waterings,
not strong direct sun, but a LOT of light is good.

The leaves all look great, flowers are kinda wilted, that's to be expected I suppose.

One more tip my g ma told me is never touch the leaves when wet either, the oils on your hands will transfer and kill the leaf as well. Other than that it looks great.

I've never been able to keep AVs in a vivarium, misting seems to melt 'em down. Perhaps if kept in an old fashioned terrarium jar which doesn't ever get misted and just recycles the existing water in the soil.

African Violets like to be pot bound. It looks pretty healthy to me, but it looks like the soil is really wet under the garnish, whatever it is they have on it. They are prone to rot, like to be watered from the bottom, and like bright indirect light. When you do repot, they like a light textured soil, so add a lot of perilte. Years ago I was told not to repot until they were developing a "neck". When that happens, trim off one or two outer layers of leaves and repot one size bigger, placing the neck back down to soil level, Hope this helps, I had some of mine for 20 years and they are still going strong.

Last edited:
Fertilize them like you would a nepthes, light and not often. North windows work best and no direct light at all.

Thnks guys. Glad I could get so much advice so quickly :)

Oh yea,
they don't need a terrarium or anything...
I have a half dozen on a regular shelf in front of a window.
Thats why they are so popular.
Very easy to grow, and to root from a simple leaf cutting (with a bit stem attached).

They bloom regularly, with a rest in between.
Fertilize when they stop blooming, and cut back after they bloom a while...
gives them a rest, and bloom cycle.

And flowers do wilt when finished, and new ones replace them.

good luck!
:water:

Back