What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Meyers Lemon tree bloom

• Thread starter Smitty
  • Start date

Smitty

Plant Ninja
Just thought I would share some of my recent blooming Meyers Lemon tree that I have in my living room. I am starting to see the beginning of my first lemon! (Bottom pic, under the blossom)
P1020164.jpg

P1020163.jpg

Enjoy!​

Oh, that's nice! I always like fruit trees inside... and citrus are nice little trees in a pot. Does it have thorns on it like a grapefruit too?

No thorns on this lemon tree. My lime tree has MANY thorns though.

The smell of a lemon blossom in almost intoxicating.:)

What kind of light and conditions do you grow it in?....I've been thinking of getting one for a while but was unsure as to how well it would do inside here in NY state.

They would be no problem to grow here in NY Exo. Especially with your green thumb.

Light conditions - In front of the picture window where it receives direct morning sunlight and strong afternoon indirect light.

Growing Conditions- They are outside in the spring through fall in direct light on my front porch when no frost is even a remote threat. As soon as they frost, they drop all their leaves. (RIP my first blood orange tree on that lesson.)

Currently- Right next to my couch in the living room. (70 degrees, 50% humidity) Every morning I mist down the tree with distilled water with a pump sprayer. Once a month foliar feeding regimen consisting of Dyna Gro. (1/2 dose) Top dressed the top layer of soil every 3 months with a inch of earthworm castings to restore beneficials.

If you give them greenhouse conditions, you could throw some serious fruit. The greenhouse I got this one at had orange trees with over 20 fist sized oranges on them a piece growing in 4 gallon nursery buckets. As the same with all the different citrus trees in there. The downside was that they were about 85 dollars a piece. So I grabbed the little guys for 35 dollars. I had this one for 3 years now about 4 foot tall and starting to do its thing!

They would be no problem to grow here in NY Exo. Especially with your green thumb.

Light conditions - In front of the picture window where it receives direct morning sunlight and strong afternoon indirect light.

Growing Conditions- They are outside in the spring through fall in direct light on my front porch when no frost is even a remote threat. As soon as they frost, they drop all their leaves. (RIP my first blood orange tree on that lesson.)

Currently- Right next to my couch in the living room. (70 degrees, 50% humidity) Every morning I mist down the tree with distilled water with a pump sprayer. Once a month foliar feeding regimen consisting of Dyna Gro. (1/2 dose) Top dressed the top layer of soil every 3 months with a inch of earthworm castings to restore beneficials.

If you give them greenhouse conditions, you could throw some serious fruit. The greenhouse I got this one at had orange trees with over 20 fist sized oranges on them a piece growing in 4 gallon nursery buckets. As the same with all the different citrus trees in there. The downside was that they were about 85 dollars a piece. So I grabbed the little guys for 35 dollars. I had this one for 3 years now about 4 foot tall and starting to do its thing!

Hmm..I think I will have to get one now...the only issue is that my winter humidity can drop as low as 20% on exceptionally cold days, due to the heating system. If it will tolerate that kind of humidity I can definitly give it a shot.

I use natural gas forced air heating so my humidity dips low as well if I don't use a humidifier. That is why I mist in the morning before I head out the door for work. Even when I set them on my porch. I just keep the pump sprayer by it and hit it real quick as I walk by in the morning. That's all they need.

Great plant! For those who dont know, soft stem cuttings of this plant can be taken and rooted to share around with friends. Enjoy your lemons :)

Ive got a Meyers Lemon tree which lives in the unheated conservatory. Ive moved it into the house and its growing and flowering like mad but the leaves and flowers keep falling off. Leaves are dark green & healthy but keep falling off. Is it temperature, watering?
Can anyone help please

Does it have beneath-soil bugs? I had cherry trees in my garden growing up that would just about finish flowering then everything would fall off and the trees would ooze because of Japanese Beetles and their larvae. Make sure you're not overwatering too - I had the same happen (leaves would shoot up but then melt off) on an Alocasia because it would soak up all the water I gave it, but unfortunately it was too much water. I mixed the previous potting mix 1 : 1 with perlite, and now it's a happier plant, because it needed more drainage.

It is a fine line with these Limes!

Many factors can play a role in this. A root bound tree with throw new growth then dwindle rapidly. It may be time to repot if you haven't done so in a while with a fresh potting substrate. Another cause for leaf drop is cold temperatures, inconsistent watering or over watering. Even a rapid change in growing conditions can stress a tree enough to drop some leaves.

Do not be concerned about the flowers falling off. A lemon tree will blossom a million times a season and out of those blooms, only a few will be successful and produce fruit. Like any other fruit tree. The amount of fruit set on the tree is determined by what the tree can sustain via it's root system. The bigger/healthier the roots the bigger the fruit set.

Also watch for pests! Ants and spider mites love themselves a nice lush fruit tree to feast/live on.

Hope I can help :)

Last edited:
somethings to keep in mind also is that changes in environment can result in citrus plants losing some leaves as it slowly adapts to the new temperatures, humidity and lighting etc... if you know your plant is healthy, over-reaction will generally do more harm than good. give it a chance to acclimate and never fertilize after moving a citrus plant until it has settled in and is starting to grow normally again.

From the flowers from the beginning of the post......

P1020290.jpg

We have lemons! :rookwoot:

Last edited:
Back