What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two miniatures from Home Depot

Hey folks I picked up two nice small leaf plants at Home Depot today:

Rhododendron Ramapo miniature companion plant for my HL display terrarium. I'm imagining N. muluensis uppers or some other small white pitchered species poking up through it like in the nature photos.

rhododendronramapo1.jpg

It has nice small leaves and soon pink flowers. I'm curious to know if this plant will bloom more than once a year if kept in a cool moist HL tank with periodic fertilizer flushes. the Rhodos growing in the ground outside my condo bloom in spring and fall during the cool wet weather but the leaves are huge.
rhododendronramapo2.jpg

About 8" tall and blooming right now and can reach 24-36" tall but I will be keeping it pruned to 12-18" since it can bloom at this small size. It comes in a gallon size nursery pot for $6.95 a nice little deal!

rhododendronramapo3.jpg

I like using Ficus benjamina in my standard forest terrariums to simulate trees cos it grows so fast and looks pretty good but the leaf size was also was so much bigger than I really wanted but HD is now carrying Ficus "Green Breeze" which looks like a dwarf leaf form of Ficus benjamina. I couldn't find any exact info online searching the name.

ficusgreenbreeze1.jpg

Here you can see the comparison between the smaller leaves of "green breeze" and just a single leaf on my F. benjamina mother plant that I take my cuttings from!

ficusgreenbreeze2.jpg

Hopefully someone may find them interesting! :)

Ooooh, aaaaaah!
When I first saw "Rhododendron" I was like, "What? This guy's crazy!" but that does indeed look like it'll be a great choice. Can't wait to see what it goes into.
~Joe

First I've gotta test out the HL greenhouse tank that I built out of insulation foam today and see how I like it or what part of the design might need work then I'll move onto building and planting the larger foam display tank.

I'm gonna be setting the display up like a mossy stunted growth highland forest while the baby Nepenthes gain some size and stabilize from shipping. I'd been thinking about the mini rhododendron+N. muluensis+N. alba ("N. gracillima") display since my original Nepenthes collection but I had never found a Rhododendron that was just right for it.

Back