What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amorphophallus very interesting plants

one of my other plants i like to grow is amorph's , so interesting how they grow and flower , but stinky ,is the only draw back when it flowers the upper flower smells like a dead rat ,
J

P1120133.jpg

newly opened bulbifer

P1120135.jpg

P1120136.jpg

another flower coming up

P1110685.jpg

Konjac

P1100909.jpg

konjac tuber , flower Spike at the ready in dormant stage

P1120137.jpg

amorph as tree not flowering

Last edited:
Being stinky is a drawback? That's a plus for me, one major reason why I would grow it haha.

Pics are already gone?

LOVE amorphs! This is one of mine 2 years ago:

Me13lbAmorph2010.jpg

This one I dug this year, it was tennis ball sized when I planted it this past spring:

IMG_0850.jpg

Mine aren't big enough to flower yet but I grow mine for the foliage so no biggy. How long did the stench last, Tommy?

Actually have a three tiny bulblets (Amorphophallus riverii 'Konjac') for postage if anyone wants them.

UPDATE: All bulblets have found new homes. ;)

gun_2.gif

Last edited:
Mine aren't big enough to flower yet but I grow mine for the foliage so no biggy. How long did the stench last, Tommy?

Actually have a three tiny bulblets (Amorphophallus riverii 'Konjac') for postage if anyone wants them.

gun_2.gif

The stink lasts about 2 days and with Konjac at least I don't find it all THAT bad. It's not good but not bad.

Hay tommy ,did you get your konjac to flower again this year too , , the bulbifer is very stinky too but differnt stink to konjac , they last for up to 4 day here one all most a week , nearly made me peuck :blush:
J

Hay tommy ,did you get your konjac to flower again this year too , , the bulbifer is very stinky too but differnt stink to konjac , they last for up to 4 day here one all most a week , nearly made me peuck :blush:
J

My largest one flowered 2 years in a row but this year it was REALLY slow to wake up.

a. konjac

i grow the3se as well. no flower on these young plants for me this year.
2o2fs.jpg

That konjak is huge! I'd love to grow these, just for the repulsive smell.

I got my bulb today from Dragonseye. Can't wait to get it growing in the spring!!!

suite

I have 2 tuberculous from amorphophalus and sauromatum ( I d'not know what species) .

have you some infos on their cultivate condition and substrate

merci

jeff

I got some bulbs from a swap a few months back of both amorphophallus and sauromatum..I'm learning about them myself...haha i can't wait for the flower, the smell is too awesome! Repulsive or not, that is what makes them so unique lol, hence why i want them ;) Good luck! I'd love to see more pics of Amorpho's and Sauromatums :)

@Cremmy18: I know you're from RI, did you get it from here? If so I had *absolutely* no idea that they grow here, that would be pretty cool.
@everyone: On a scale of -1.7 to 10 how bad does it stink? Does it just keep stinking obnoxiously forever or just a little while? BTW cool plants and pics

@Cremmy18: I know you're from RI, did you get it from here? If so I had *absolutely* no idea that they grow here, that would be pretty cool.
@everyone: On a scale of -1.7 to 10 how bad does it stink? Does it just keep stinking obnoxiously forever or just a little while? BTW cool plants and pics

I actually received this swap a few months ago..probably like back in December from somewhere in the states...My amorpho bulbs are so tiny (I'm told 2-3 year olds), that I do not think they will be producing flowers anytime soon :( However, my Sauromatum bulb is looking ready to bloom this summer :) (told that it is a 7 yr old bulbs). From the tons of chatting/researching I've done about the flower, I have gathered it is somewhere between an 8-10 in smell, at least when kept inside the house lol! I've read it will keep greenhouse visitors at bay too ;) No direct experience with the smell yet myself, But i can already smell something interesting about the bulb when I take it out of its box...so I can only imagine how much "fun" it'll smell in full bloom haha! My new collection of Voodoos and Amorphos.

Sauromatum Venosum - 7 yr
602918_527437430629360_1426914193_n.jpg

2 Amorphos, 1 sauromatum
15988_508221332550970_1335318563_n.jpg

sorry about that I read it wrong...I thought you said swamp...:headwall:

Lol, no problem :) I do remember now though, they came from NY just as a reference for where they were grown originally.

very nice this A.bulbifer :hail:

JEFF

Stunning bulb !

Thank you very much to you both :) Just an update to all, my sauromatum venosum has new growths going on these days!
555146_546369538736149_416870075_n.jpg

11677_546369495402820_374957197_n.jpg

Back