Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cucurbits - Giant gourds, Luffas and Pumpkins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thagirion View Post
    Joossa: I saw your post from last year and LOVED your photos of your growth progress. I'm glad you have discovered the joys of cucurbits. I'm quite read up and experienced with this plant family and would be happy to help you out. Yes they do need lots of water. I think you have a wonderful little harvest though. I love those small baseball sized pumpkins. They're great for pies.
    Just wanted to say too that pumpkins grow very well in California. Some prize winning Dill's Atlantic Giants have been grown there.
    You're photos are very inspiring, especially considering you are in Florida.

Mine grew well in spring. I know I had excellent soil and fertilized properly (high nitrogen early in the season, then higher phosphorous and potassium later on). I had no pests. So, the only thing I believe I did wrong was not water enough. I live in the desert, so I guess there is no such thing as over watering in the middle of summer when it's so hot and dry.

Like I said though, I'm giving them another shot again because there is just so much variety in the shapes and colors and textures.

Best of luck to you this season, Thagirion.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I'm glad you'll be growing them again. I've got some new type of cucurbits to try this year. The most exotic ones right now I have just sprouted are Ivy Gourds Coccinia grandis which is beautiful red and green when mature as a fruit. Will also grow some Melothria scabra the mouse melon which is a tiny cucumber that looks like a watermelon. Plus a few others that haven't sprouted just yet. Looks like this year I'll be working with smaller species until I start missing the giant gourds again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Make sure you post pictures as the season progresses! We would love to see pictures.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to grow some gourds but the landscapers constantly took them out because they thought they were weeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that's annoying. I would have told them not to touch them because they were yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are more cucurbit pics.

A Zucca starting to grow on the pavers.

A funny shaped gourd. I got the seeds out of one I bought on a trip to Georgia. They don't always turn out like the parents.

The One Too Many pumpkin vine growing up the fence.

Pumpkin growing on the fence. Unforunately this one never reached full size. We got our first frost in late December and it took out the last of my pumpkins.

The Zucca harvest. I got three big Zuccas with the largest being 30 inches. The browning is normal. It's part of the curing process for them to become hard and woody.

The gourd harvest for last year. You can see some are already browning. These are all still sitting on my shelf now and I need to was off the mold and store them and get the seeds out. I should have one last pic update after this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this will be my last pic post on this thread since these were all of last year's harvest. Funny enough because of last year's success I'm rather satisfied with cucurbits and don't feel the need to plant so many this year. Part of me doesn't like that though. If I do get any neat ones I'll start a 2012 thread.

I built this fence arbor last year and love it. I do plan to build more along other free parts of my fence. You can see my five buckets of gourds already growing up them. The plan was for them to climb up and hang down. But I got lazy part way through and didn't keep the lower side vines trimmed. Not only did they climb up the arbor but they literally swallowed that whole patio. I don't think I have pics of that but I do have video of it.

New female Zucca flower.

Female Horned Melon flower. I will not grow these again ever even though I saved quite a few seeds. Not only do the fruits have thorns (which I expected and what's cool about them) but the whole plant has them. They are the itchy teeny tiny glass like kind. You have to wear gloves to work in this vine. I could have put up with that except that I was majorly disapointed in the taste once I ate one. I don't remember what it was like now just that I was not pleased for all my work and had had high expectations.

This is the point where I stopped taking progress pics. I did get some that rippened and turned orange.

Lastly one of my pumpkin patches. The vine on the fence is bitter gourd which grows wild here. I love it and it has such pretty tiny orange fruits.

Hypocrisy as far as the eye can see by Thagirion3, on Flickr

One more actually. This is a pumpkin patch I go to every Oct to buy pumpkins. It's so much fun and very differnet from videos I've seen of patches up north.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12