Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ramp cultivation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats awesome Av, I'm glad you had a good turnout. This group of people here are very generous. Ramp hunting was a ritual when I was a child. My mom and her family are from West Virginia so every spring we would get together and go hiking, which she is the youngest of 11 children so there were a lot of aunts uncles and cousins... My first memory was "lets go ramp hunting" and like a little boy all I heard was hunting and had no idea what ramps were so I was the first to jump in the vehicle but from then on I never forgot. With a smell like that you can't forget. Looks like you'll have plenty to enjoy for a long time.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason,
    Do you still get the occasional opportunity to eat some?.... probably brings back fond memories.
    For me it is the appalachian classic of chocolate gravy and biscuits. It was a favorite of my mothers (whom I lost early on)

This forum is full of kind and giving people whom never fail to impress me....

I wonder if fiddleheads will grow in my area, I hear those are good too

Be cool to have a seasonal selection of native wild edibles
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 04-15-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crissy: If you do try fertilizer, I would go with Bone Meal or a Bulb Tone type fertilizer. Nothing too high in Nitrogen. They really can't get too much N naturally apart from biological breakdown of the dead soil micro organisms.

General Question for those that have seen Ramps growing wild: Can you estimate the depth of the leaf litter where the Ramps grow. I am wondering if the leaves should be thick on the plants, or maybe not so thick.

Av: In photo 0009, I see ferns in the fiddlehead stage. Are they edible? You were asking, maybe you have them already? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddlehead_fern http://umaine.edu/publications/4198e/ http://www.eattheweeds.com/fiddlehead-fanatics-2/
    Last edited by jerrysmith; 04-15-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    double post

DOH!
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 04-16-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry,

I think the ones I have are the ones you don't want to eat... (toxic and/or carcinogen).
    If I understand it correctly, the right ones would be smooth, have brown paper like scales and have a "u" shaped channel.

Correct species:

Mine are fuzzy, no channel and no scales...

For what its worth, concerning the ramps... I looked over my property for what I thought was a good spot for the ramps.
    I looked for:

Hardwood leaf litter
    Moist (small creek and boggy area 20 foot further down the slope)
    Ferns
    Well draining slope
    Shaded once tree canopy grows out but sunny prior to that

In planting I used a straight blade shovel, dug in.. rocked shovel blade back and forth to make a trench, placed bulbs an inch or so in depth, root end down, closed up trench with foot pressure

No further attention was given until inspection a couple weeks ago

I estimate 75-100 plants, good looking leaf growth... they seem to like the location

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know Jerry. Next time I'm at the store I'll pick up some bone meal. Maybe it will help mine take off better. I'm thinking that maybe that particular area is a bit too dry for them. I'll try again in an area that's closer to the stream (I'll make sure it's not too wet)
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've lived in Kansas for the past 21 years but visited my mom every summer growing up. I mention ramps here and no one knows what I'm talking about. My mom always reminds me that ramp season is coming up. I should ask her to send me some and maybe get some pictures of them if she has time.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast