Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ramp cultivation?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow B. Never saw this before. I really got to see if I can find ramps here in store. I love the chive/spring onion/shallots family.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V,

If you want to look locally, I would think May in your area.
    Peatmoss/Gabriel seemed to be familiar with them on your side of the border

lookie here: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/393252

Butch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Main group, seem to be spreading nicely....
    Year two

main group seems to be doing a little better than the "fern" group but both seem to be doing well.
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 04-18-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news Butch. Looking great.

I was in Yonkers, NY last weekend collecting wood stumps and gnarly branches for use in Planted Aquariums with a few folks from the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club. We were on a long stretch of land bordering the Saw Mill River Parkway. Wouldn't you know but I saw large patches of Dog Tooth Violet blooming. Made me think to myself to start looking for Ramps. Bingo, found a very small clump of about 20 plants growing in front of a broken down 10' x 10' field stone foundation. Don't know what was there, but the patch was way too small to harvest. I broke off a leaf tip to taste it and confirm Ramps. Made my mouth water.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysmith View Post
    Long time since I've been here. Soon after I posted on 10/3, a friend showed me a Ramp patch near his house that is gigantic. All I could see of it was the seed heads with ripened seeds. I'm going to have to estimate the size, but it must have been at least 50 feet square, at least. I harvested a large bunch of the seed heads without even moving more than two feet from a spot. I cleaned them afterwards by rubbing them in my hands to remove the seeds from the seed ball. I blew on the chaff seed mixture in a shallow dish until most of the chaff blew away. I found two living caterpillars about 1/4" long that came out of the seed heads. I don't know what critter eats Ramps, but they were living. Too bad I didn't take a photo.

The seeds are black, not crinkled like leek seeds, and about 1/8" in Diameter. I guess I have about 100 of them. I was going to scatter them in a likely place near me, but I never got it done before the snow and freezes came. Now I think I am going to try and grow them in pots in a cool greenhouse, if my friend can spare some space for me. Otherwise, I'll start some at home and see what happens. I'll be sure to document it and post up what I find.
    I gave the seeds to my friend and he sowed them in a professional greenhouse of about 15 acres. I that to say that he knows his seed sowing. Any way, no germination after one month. I suggested putting the flat in the refrigerator. He's done that and I haven't asked yet what happened. I have some seeds still dry in our freezer. I plan to sow some of them to see if they need a cold treatment before germination. Anyone know if they do?
    Last edited by jerrysmith; 04-26-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysmith View Post
    I gave the seeds to my friend and he sowed them in a professional greenhouse of about 15 acres. I that to say that he knows his seed sowing. Any way, no germination after one month. I suggested putting the flat in the refrigerator. He's done that and I haven't asked yet what happened. I have some seeds still dry in our freezer. I plan to sow some of them to see if they need a cold treatment before germination. Anyone know if they do?
    yes, and its a little more complicated...

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/hil/hil-133.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Butch. So maybe we hit the right procedure without even knowing it. One month trying to germinate in warmth then refrigerator for the flat. Maybe this will get them growing!! I'll have to check in on him. My seeds in the freezer may not work out.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast