Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mimosa pudica

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute! A three-year-old Mimosa? What happened to it being an annual?

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got one growing from seed. It only came out a couple weeks ago, but it's growing great and I've confirmed that it's not just a weed that popped up in the pot. The thorns gave it away.
    Never mind! It turned out to be a weed--a CLOVER of all things. I sent an email to the vendor telling him to REFUND MY DARN MONEY RIGHT THIS SECOND!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not really. But i did send an email.
    Last edited by Plant Planter; 03-27-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    Wait a minute! A three-year-old Mimosa? What happened to it being an annual?
    Most plants that we call "annuals" are only "annual" because they cant survive our winters!
    That is the only reason they live one year..

But in their native climate, (much warmer than the climate we transplant them into) they live for many years, decades even..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly, i provide the same growing conditions all year long, so my mimosa can survive the winter easily.

Most ppl lost their mimosa in winter because the RH% is too low, and they water their plant with cold water.

By the way, if you want to try again, i have 2,000seeds of m.pudica. I can give you some for free.
    Maiden

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Most ppl lost their mimosa in winter because the RH% is too low, and they water their plant with cold water.
    I have a Mimosa (not sure of the species, but likely a pudica) that I have grown successfully for six years. In the winter, in my cold greenhouse (natural gas heater keeps temps around 38-39 degrees F minimum), the plant survives quite well, and it is exclusively watered with cold (VERY cold) water; although I'm sure the RH is quite high. I'm near Washington DC, USA (USDA Zone 7A). It's quite happy nestled among my succulent collection, several seed-grown Cycas revoluta plants and a currently-blooming Cymbidium.

Interesting example of how one grower's recipe for disaster is another's for success :-).

I purchased mine at a plant show sponsored the University of South Florida Arboretum. Interestingly, the same (or a similar) plant was either wild or naturalized as a low creeper in the grass all throughout the property. It was quite common (and free, but then again, it didn't come with a pot and I don't make it a practice of taking cuttings from public gardens, however tempting :-) ).

In Costa Rica on my honeymoon, I saw a large, shrubby plant on a cloud forest hike that looked very much like Mimosa and, upon touching it, found out that it was sensitive as well.

Fascinating plants.
    Growing CP since 1975. Succeeding (more or less) since 1990.

Sarracenia & Heliamphora Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Interesting example of how one grower's recipe for disaster is another's for success "

True lol

Because in my setup (and its the same thing for everybody i know growing this plant), when i water my pudica with even cool water, all the leaves turn yellow in 2-3 days. Same for the low RH%. And same for low temperature. Under 16C, even only at night, the plant start declining. So i always have to water with warm(not hot) water, run a humidifier in the room, and keep the temps 20C+ all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mimosa pudica flower par dals009, sur Flickr

Super nova !
    Maiden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woah very nice flower. does it grow as a shrub plant?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast