What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haha sorry my mistake!
The right word was heating haha :)

Horrible weed here on Maui in the wet coastal areas. Gets to be 3-4 feet tall thickets of thorns all but impentrable. I see honeybees visiting the flowers. Guessing they are need pollination and are not self pollinating like the garden beans, but don't know this for sure...

Only one time i had seeds, but i dunno how. The others years i had nothing.
Here in Montreal Canada many ppl want a mimosa pudica, but very few ppl sell that plant. Its kind of rare here!

Maiden

Just to say, my mimosa is 1m now ! And no yellow leaves this winter !

Wait a minute! A three-year-old Mimosa? What happened to it being an annual? :scratch:

I've got one growing from seed. It only came out a couple weeks ago, but it's growing great and I've confirmed that it's not just a weed that popped up in the pot. The thorns gave it away.
Never mind! It turned out to be a weed--a CLOVER of all things. I sent an email to the vendor telling him to REFUND MY DARN MONEY RIGHT THIS SECOND!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not really. But i did send an email.

Last edited:
Wait a minute! A three-year-old Mimosa? What happened to it being an annual? :scratch:

Most plants that we call "annuals" are only "annual" because they cant survive our winters! ;)
That is the only reason they live one year..

But in their native climate, (much warmer than the climate we transplant them into) they live for many years, decades even..

Scot

Exactly, i provide the same growing conditions all year long, so my mimosa can survive the winter easily.

Most ppl lost their mimosa in winter because the RH% is too low, and they water their plant with cold water.

By the way, if you want to try again, i have 2,000seeds of m.pudica. I can give you some for free.

Most ppl lost their mimosa in winter because the RH% is too low, and they water their plant with cold water.

I have a Mimosa (not sure of the species, but likely a pudica) that I have grown successfully for six years. In the winter, in my cold greenhouse (natural gas heater keeps temps around 38-39 degrees F minimum), the plant survives quite well, and it is exclusively watered with cold (VERY cold) water; although I'm sure the RH is quite high. I'm near Washington DC, USA (USDA Zone 7A). It's quite happy nestled among my succulent collection, several seed-grown Cycas revoluta plants and a currently-blooming Cymbidium.

Interesting example of how one grower's recipe for disaster is another's for success :).

I purchased mine at a plant show sponsored the University of South Florida Arboretum. Interestingly, the same (or a similar) plant was either wild or naturalized as a low creeper in the grass all throughout the property. It was quite common (and free, but then again, it didn't come with a pot and I don't make it a practice of taking cuttings from public gardens, however tempting :) ).

In Costa Rica on my honeymoon, I saw a large, shrubby plant on a cloud forest hike that looked very much like Mimosa and, upon touching it, found out that it was sensitive as well.

Fascinating plants.

"Interesting example of how one grower's recipe for disaster is another's for success "

True lol

Because in my setup (and its the same thing for everybody i know growing this plant), when i water my pudica with even cool water, all the leaves turn yellow in 2-3 days. Same for the low RH%. And same for low temperature. Under 16C, even only at night, the plant start declining. So i always have to water with warm(not hot) water, run a humidifier in the room, and keep the temps 20C+ all the time.

woah very nice flower. does it grow as a shrub plant?

How big did your plant get before it flowered? Mine is growing as multiple branches, and is probably in total over 5 feet across.... not to mention evil when I back into all those thorns!! :D

My Mimosa seem to produce seeds this little amount of seeds after caring for them for more than 6 months. Here a picture of it.

If anyone interested in them I willing to trade them out for sundew seeds or Venus fly trap seeds.

woah very nice flower. does it grow as a shrub plant?

Not really, its more... 'vign style' :)

Hcarlton: not so big, in fact i have flowers all the time.

Darren: nice home made seeds!

Here i can buy a 500 m. pudica seeds Mckenzie brands for 4.98$ at home depot!

Hey thanks for your information!
Because they form seeds rather rare over here.

Anyone happen to grow a mimosa plant with yellow flower one?my grow up to 1.3 meter tall months back.
I was really surprise with that giant size.

I got my seeds at the Dollar Tree. It is large now and in the back corner of my greenhouse. It gets down to 50 F at night. The leaves seem to be permanently folded up but not yellowing. I just noticed the package says "Leaves close when touched, cold or put in the dark". Good to know!

935270_4875456120265_1882896215_n.jpg

i think i have a relative of this plant growing outside my house. the leaves are similar shaped and react quickly to touch. it overwinters just fine since its wild.

i think i have a relative of this plant growing outside my house. the leaves are similar shaped and react quickly to touch. it overwinters just fine since its wild.

Overwinter? What is the average winter temperature in your area ? Here we got very brutal winters, its impossible for me.
My 2 big mimosa are 'dormant' right now, indoor, with no leaves at all, but the sterm remain green/purple, like each year. Next april i will put them back under the sun and high relative humidity, and the growth will resume.

Last edited:
around 30F
i am in New Jersey.

Canada would be way too cold i think.

Back