What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lambs ear winter care

I have a flowering plant, i think its called labs ear. Has pink and whitish frilly like flowers with woody stems. Currently its just a few feet tall, we got it last summer from our local nursery. I live in Maine. Was curious if i needed to box it in or anything to protect it from snow? Last year wasn't a typical winter and was fairly warm with little snow so probably shouldn't be used as a reason to say its fine as i had it.

Any hints?

Billy

lots of bleach. LOL
it took over my yard , i do like it but it is very invasive in my climate the seeds go every where,.
sorry didnt mean to yuk up your thread ! i do think they are nice , just can get out of control.
I pulled and pulled them before they had time to bloom for years. and still they came back.
EVERYWHERE

yeah, most gardeners consider it a weed..
its interesting the first year, with the fuzzy leaves and all..
after 5 years, you hate it and want it gone, but by then its too late..
I would also suggest ripping it out while you have the chance!

Scot

Im definitely thinking of of something else

GetAttachment.aspx

yeah, most gardeners consider it a weed..
its interesting the first year, with the fuzzy leaves and all..
after 5 years, you hate it and want it gone, but by then its too late..
I would also suggest ripping it out while you have the chance!

Scot

Now i do have a weed thats taken over most of the grass on my lawn. Looks like clovers or strawberry plant leaves except it has little purple flowers that rise up all voer the place. It grows almost on top of the surface of the lawn killing....choking most things out. I watched it come from my neighbors yard and its really hard to get rid of. It leaves almost a netting/webbing of roots and stems all over the place

the lams ear i had had large thick leaves thet were covered in silvery hair, the plant looked almost white and had a bloom spike the came up from the center, and had yellow blooms , the spikes grew well above the foilage maybe as tall as 2 1/2 to 3 feet. very pretty fuzzy plant.
this is what had ,
click on link below
http://images.whiteflowerfarm.com/38676a.jpg

We call them Mullen here (introduced spec). They look different from those, and only last two years. I've seen stalks up to seven feet tall on ours.

We call them Mullen here (introduced spec). They look different from those, and only last two years. I've seen stalks up to seven feet tall on ours.

Not the same plant as "Lambs ear"..
Mullein is Verbascum thapsus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbascum_thapsus
Lambs Ear is Stachys byzantina: http://tinyurl.com/8cc55hq

Completely different plants..they have nothing in common except fuzzy leaves..
apart from that, they look very different..

I have never seen Mullein in a garden, its a true uncultivated large "weed".
but Lambs Ear is a very common decorative garden plant..people buy and plant it on purpose..

Scot

Size reference! ;)

Lambs ear, mature plants before flowering:
P3100027.JPG

Lambs Ear patch in flower, this is as big as they get:
c617cc323f239008f93852d9fe2744f5

Mullein before "spiking" (sending up a flower stalk)
IMG_5072.jpg

Mullein after spiking:
IMG_1449.jpg

Scot

the lams ear i had had large thick leaves thet were covered in silvery hair, the plant looked almost white and had a bloom spike the came up from the center, and had yellow blooms , the spikes grew well above the foilage maybe as tall as 2 1/2 to 3 feet. very pretty fuzzy plant.
this is what had ,
click on link below
http://images.whiteflowerfarm.com/38676a.jpg
oops mine had purple blooms too , sorry forgot, was remembering yarrow

Its called a "Little Lamb " Hydrangea

great photos Scotty, thanks for sharing. never seen a mullein before, it's beautiful. i love wild plants.

Back