Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Passion Flowers from Seed

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planting will commence soon! YES!
    And Ambanja, GREAT passion flower there! Just a quick nerdy Latin fact: I think Passiflora quadrangularis means "the four-angled passion flower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyhow, I don't think my plant has grown. I do have some weird sprout that might possibly be one, which is why I still have Passiflora caerulea on my grow list and eat counts, but I'm not too sure. It actually might be in my moonflower pot (I've gotten them kind of confused--they're in the same types of pots), so it might be a moonflower. The foliage does match it more than the passion flower, but I won't know for sure for a while. At least the weather's gotten much better and I can keep my plants outside full-time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any success with the seeds ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima View Post
    Any success with the seeds ?
    You bet! I put Passiflora caerulea back on my Interactive Grow List and Eat Counts since the weird sprout I spoke of that did not have passion flower foliage now does have adult passion flower leaves with the trademark three-finger shape! IT'S ALIVE! HAHAHA!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol that's awesome, congrats!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah the first few feet of most varieties has different shaped leaves than adult type

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a while, but I am pleased to report that Passiflora caerulea has taken off and is busying itself with strangling some dill and a boxwood sapling.

Passiflora caerulea photo IMG_01511_zps85af0d80.jpg

The plant is a bit hard to see, but look for the three- and five-fingered leaves and vines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been an even longer while now, but the time for me to ask this is approaching slowly: What do I do with the plant for the winter?

I know that Passiflora caerulea is a perennial, so even if the foliage is dead, it'll grow back next year. I have read from various sources that there are two routes that I can take: either leave it out in the cold, in which case it will become a semi-dormant deciduous vine, or take it in, in which case it will continue growing and stay the same as it is now. I'm having a devil of a time trying to decide which to do. The first option is easy, and a good mulching should keep the plant's roots from dying. However, Ohio can have brutally cold winters which would easily kill all the stems and leaves without protection. If I protect the leaves and such, they might not get enough light. The second keeps all the foliage alive and growing, but the plant is very high-light and an extremely fast grower. At the moment I definitely don't have enough light (two measly 26-watt bulbs probably won't cut it). Do any of you guys have advice?

And sorry for no pictures; I'll get some up soon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast