User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 9

Thread: Can someone give me care tips pls?(M. pudica)

  1. #1
    JMN16150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lathrop, CA
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Can someone give me care tips pls?(M. pudica)

    Hello, I just bought Mimosa pudica a few days ago; I bought it because of it's unique ability to move leaves when touched. I'm sort of scared now, because I did internet research and found that they usually die after flowering. Sources also say they are hard to take care of. Thanks!

  2. #2
    divaskid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're a weed here in Hawaii, in fact I just killed a bunch this weekend growing in my lawn.
    They grow naturally at my house in clay soil (seemingly low in nitrogen since there's a lot of clover growing side by side)
    Temps here are typically 70-80 degrees F. Never going below 65 or above 95.
    I noticed they also grow in the sunniest areas of the yard.
    They also don't get much water either.

    I've never really noticed the mimosa here die after it flowers, but I haven't spent much time observing either. There always seems to be seeds after it flowers.

    Anyway, I haven't personally grown it on purpose, but I figured the info would help
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

    Grow/Trade List

    Picture Thread

  3. #3
    Whimgrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,875
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full sun, lots of water, and ignore it. I can't imagine many plants as easy to care for as this thing. Mind you, it makes a terrible houseplant and will probably go into decline if you bring it indoors and put it on a windowsill for the winter. Save seeds.

  4. #4
    JMN16150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lathrop, CA
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips, guys! Divaskid, if the clover is Trifolium repens, there should be a lot of nitrogen in the field. That clover has the ability to absorb nitrogen form the air and replenish the soil that it's roots are in with nitrogen. It is purposely planted in SOD for that reason

  5. #5
    Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    1,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've kept mine potted in pure peat, full sun, lowland conditions & they have grown crazy ever since. It might be beneficial to pot the plant in an oversized pot; they grow quite fast and their roots are very weedy.


    In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

  6. #6
    divaskid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMN16150 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, guys! Divaskid, if the clover is Trifolium repens, there should be a lot of nitrogen in the field. That clover has the ability to absorb nitrogen form the air and replenish the soil that it's roots are in with nitrogen. It is purposely planted in SOD for that reason
    While its true that clover is a nitrogen fixing plant and its used in many agricultural practices as such, as a weed its still often an indication that the soil is poor and low in nitrogen rather than high in nitrogen.
    In fact it is actually because of clovers ability to fix nitrogen into the soil and survive where there is none, it's typically the first weed to appear in nitrogen depleted areas.

    BTW, if for some reason your plant does die, feel free to PM me and I'll send you some seeds. That way you won't need to worry too much about loosing the plant completely
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

    Grow/Trade List

    Picture Thread

  7. #7
    kulamauiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kula, Maui USA
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M. pudica is a nitrogen fixer as well. it is also a legume. horrible weed if not mowed. I have seen walls of it 3-4 feet tall....

  8. #8
    JMN16150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lathrop, CA
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    I've kept mine potted in pure peat, full sun, lowland conditions & they have grown crazy ever since. It might be beneficial to pot the plant in an oversized pot; they grow quite fast and their roots are very weedy.
    Thanks, that's good to know. The roots are popping out of the pot already and I'm planning to repot it soon

    Quote Originally Posted by divaskid View Post
    While its true that clover is a nitrogen fixing plant and its used in many agricultural practices as such, as a weed its still often an indication that the soil is poor and low in nitrogen rather than high in nitrogen.
    In fact it is actually because of clovers ability to fix nitrogen into the soil and survive where there is none, it's typically the first weed to appear in nitrogen depleted areas.

    BTW, if for some reason your plant does die, feel free to PM me and I'll send you some seeds. That way you won't need to worry too much about loosing the plant completely
    Thanks a lot

    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    M. pudica is a nitrogen fixer as well. it is also a legume. horrible weed if not mowed. I have seen walls of it 3-4 feet tall....
    I never knew they do nitrogen fixation, no wonder sites say to us fertilizers with a high middle and last number...


    Thanks everyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •