User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone give me care tips pls?(M. pudica)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone give me care tips pls?(M. pudica)

Hello, I just bought Mimosa pudica a few days ago; I bought it because of it's unique ability to move leaves when touched. I'm sort of scared now, because I did internet research and found that they usually die after flowering. Sources also say they are hard to take care of. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're a weed here in Hawaii, in fact I just killed a bunch this weekend growing in my lawn.
    They grow naturally at my house in clay soil (seemingly low in nitrogen since there's a lot of clover growing side by side)
    Temps here are typically 70-80 degrees F. Never going below 65 or above 95.
    I noticed they also grow in the sunniest areas of the yard.
    They also don't get much water either.

I've never really noticed the mimosa here die after it flowers, but I haven't spent much time observing either. There always seems to be seeds after it flowers.

Anyway, I haven't personally grown it on purpose, but I figured the info would help
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full sun, lots of water, and ignore it. I can't imagine many plants as easy to care for as this thing. Mind you, it makes a terrible houseplant and will probably go into decline if you bring it indoors and put it on a windowsill for the winter. Save seeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips, guys! Divaskid, if the clover is Trifolium repens, there should be a lot of nitrogen in the field. That clover has the ability to absorb nitrogen form the air and replenish the soil that it's roots are in with nitrogen. It is purposely planted in SOD for that reason

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've kept mine potted in pure peat, full sun, lowland conditions & they have grown crazy ever since. It might be beneficial to pot the plant in an oversized pot; they grow quite fast and their roots are very weedy.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMN16150 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, guys! Divaskid, if the clover is Trifolium repens, there should be a lot of nitrogen in the field. That clover has the ability to absorb nitrogen form the air and replenish the soil that it's roots are in with nitrogen. It is purposely planted in SOD for that reason
    While its true that clover is a nitrogen fixing plant and its used in many agricultural practices as such, as a weed its still often an indication that the soil is poor and low in nitrogen rather than high in nitrogen.
    In fact it is actually because of clovers ability to fix nitrogen into the soil and survive where there is none, it's typically the first weed to appear in nitrogen depleted areas.

BTW, if for some reason your plant does die, feel free to PM me and I'll send you some seeds. That way you won't need to worry too much about loosing the plant completely
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M. pudica is a nitrogen fixer as well. it is also a legume. horrible weed if not mowed. I have seen walls of it 3-4 feet tall....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    I've kept mine potted in pure peat, full sun, lowland conditions & they have grown crazy ever since. It might be beneficial to pot the plant in an oversized pot; they grow quite fast and their roots are very weedy.
    Thanks, that's good to know. The roots are popping out of the pot already and I'm planning to repot it soon

Quote Originally Posted by divaskid View Post
    While its true that clover is a nitrogen fixing plant and its used in many agricultural practices as such, as a weed its still often an indication that the soil is poor and low in nitrogen rather than high in nitrogen.
    In fact it is actually because of clovers ability to fix nitrogen into the soil and survive where there is none, it's typically the first weed to appear in nitrogen depleted areas.

BTW, if for some reason your plant does die, feel free to PM me and I'll send you some seeds. That way you won't need to worry too much about loosing the plant completely
    Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    M. pudica is a nitrogen fixer as well. it is also a legume. horrible weed if not mowed. I have seen walls of it 3-4 feet tall....
    I never knew they do nitrogen fixation, no wonder sites say to us fertilizers with a high middle and last number...

Thanks everyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast