Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Houseplants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houseplants

I have some various houseplants, and sorry I am new to growing plants, so i don't even know their common names - any help is greatly appreciated!
    Some of them have issues that I was hoping I could solve with your help

Here is common house plant, I think it's commonly called "Peace Lily"?

The first peace lily we tried, we killed some how, so this is take two. It flowered when we bought it, then stopped for a few months and is now starting again.
    Concerns: necrotic leaf tips. what does this mean?

Also sometimes small leaves near the base will get chlorosis will turn yellow and will die. what does this mean?
    Anyone know the scientific name for this plant?

Here is another one. I know nothing about this one, no name. if anyone can ID it that would be cool.

Growing tall. I changed soil on all my house plants last year. none died after so that's good.
    Concerns: same necrotic leaf tips. sometimes large leaves will dry out or show chlorosis before they dry out. what is going on?

Another issue i have with some of these bigger plants (I will post more when i have time) is that their soil will not dry out. the middle-bottom stays moist or dark. top layer sometimes dries out but i'm afraid of watering since below its all dark and looks like it holds moisture. been like that for months. pots have drainage pans, i checked if water drains well, and it does. most pots have 100% organic soil, no additional perlite or peat or sphagnum. i only use loose mixes for my recent bromeliad additions.
    any words of wisdom and IDs?
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The second one is I believe Dracnea fragrans which is often called a "Corn Plant".

"Peace Lilly" is a Spathiphyllum, there are different varieties of "peace lillies", some are dwarf some are huge but they aren't lillies at all (not of the plant genus Lillium).

The burnt tips indicates too dry of conditions compared to what they are used to or sodium / high nutrients in the water soil. The yellowing & dying old leaves is most likely an indication of both staying too wet too long (as you already noticed) and probably not enough light (I'm guessing). I would try to give them more light, higher humidity, looser/free draining soil mix and see where that gets you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First one, common name "peace lily"
    latin name Spathiphyllum cochlearispathum. (or other closely related Spathiphyllum)
    brown leaf tips are just due to low humidity..a common issue with tropical houseplants, nothing to worry about.
    Our homes arent a perfect match to their native climate, they are often drier, especially in the winter,
    but the plants will do fine..No need to do anything about it IMO..

Second one, common names: "corn plant" and "cornstalk dracaena"
    latin name Dracaena Fragrans (or other closely related Dracana)

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have been thinking about a looser soil mix...but re-potting again might be too much for them right now.
    thanks guys! I'll be posting more plants and hopefully i'll get them all ID'd right so that i know what i have

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the soil is remaining too moist, then you are better off fixing the soil & repotting now rather then waiting for them to recover first. If soil conditions are off, there won't be any recovery. You didn't get that soil crap with the "moisture crystals" did you?
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no idea what soil it was. i think miracle gro organic mix, w/e it in that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More plants i don't know about!

Here is one. looks kind of like dumb cane - i would know, I was dumb when I was little. You can figure out what happened (Child vs. Dumb Cane) :P

Another common houseplant that we have in the house 100% of the time. does well in shade:

And the last one for today, some variegated thing. another corn plant(not literally)?

This one got burned when i put it in sunlight in early summer. i then moved it into shade when i noticed. still has some of these brown drying patches you see in the photo - what is this a sign of? This one is standing among all the other plants i brought in for the winter. they are normally outside.

More plants to come!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plants, and on your first picture, i love your bubble fishs and the sea star, pretty cool :-)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast